What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Flim Flam Man (1967)- This is a favorite movie of mine growing up set in the US South, a comedy about a con artist who says you can’t cheat an honest man. He takes an army deserter under his wing and they have an adventure. It’s tough to find this to watch, I’ve got it on DVD.

This fool thinks he can sell a DVD of this movie for $266

5D1F8BDC-E65F-4972-B2D1-ACA3D7C82AA3.jpeg

Last edited:
U

User.191

The Flim Flam Man (1967)- This is a favorite movie of mine growing up set in the US South, a comedy about a con artist who says you can’t cheat an honest man. He takes an army deserter under his wing and they have an adventure. It’s tough to find this to watch, I’ve got it on DVD.

George C Scott was a terrific actor, but man oh man, no-one could express angst with only their face any better than Michael Sarrizan.

I think my favorite of all his moves was "They shoot horses, don't they?"

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Val (Prime Video 2021)- Self made documentary about Val Kilmer’s life. It seems like a great insurmountable loss for him is to have lost his voice though smoking/throat cancer about 2015.

E153F93E-AA52-4733-BEAF-3F0BA8A34B8C.jpeg

7D957695-5C5B-4A00-8C59-5EA86C27C6F3.png

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
George C Scott was a terrific actor, but man oh man, no-one could express angst with only their face any better than Michael Sarrizan.

I think my favorite of all his moves was "They shoot horses, don't they?"
Not to sound morose, but I look at images of actors in different stages of their lives like Michael Sarrazin, Val Kilmer, Marlin Brando (and basically everyone) and I’m left with a feeling that life gives you everything, and then takes it all away. It seems especially poignant for this who have lived life large, after watching the Val Documentary, I imagine the loss feels much greater. :unsure:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Referenced in the "What are you doing today?" thread.

Jaws_PosterArt_025192126291.png

It may have been another era, but I remember watching this in a theater, and when Roy Scheider said "Smile, you son of a bitch!" and blew up the shark, the place erupted in cheers.

I pretty much see this every summer, but it was only this year that I saw a documentary on the making of the movie. I'd heard it was a bad experience, but the documentary made that sound like an understatement. Choppy seas, mechanical sharks that didn't work, I knew about before...but there was so much time wasted just because over and over some sailboat came drifting lazily into the shot, and they had to wait a while for it to go away. It was so behind and over budget that Universal wanted to take it away from Spielberg (sound familiar?), and Zanuck and Brown had to repeatedly go to bat for him.

It wasn't Spielberg's first picture, but it was his first big picture. What a baptism of fire.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

It may have been another era, but I remember watching this in a theater, and when Roy Scheider said "Smile, you son of a bitch!" and blew up the shark, the place erupted in cheers.

I pretty much see this every summer, but it was only this year that I saw a documentary on the making of the movie. I'd heard it was a bad experience, but the documentary made that sound like an understatement. Choppy seas, mechanical sharks that didn't work, I knew about before...but there was so much time wasted just because over and over some sailboat came drifting lazily into the shot, and they had to wait a while for it to go away. It was so behind and over budget that Universal wanted to take it away from Spielberg (sound familiar?), and Zanuck and Brown had to repeatedly go to bat for him.

It wasn't Spielberg's first picture, but it was his first big picture. What a baptism of fire.
I accepted the explosive ending along with the book ending, but for the movie, they needed that kind of closure. :)

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Yep just watched free guy and it was really good. had no clue about it really.
Two guys a girl, and a pizza place. Ignore the Van Wilder stuff. He redeemed himself with Blade uh, 3? Ryan Reynolds, not Free Guy. Although.

Ok, the Van Wilder stuff was what it was. If you like college sophomoric crap, it was entertaining. I usually laughed even if I cringed.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

Unofficially my favorite film. Somehow doesn’t get old.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I accepted the explosive ending along with the book ending, but for the movie, they needed that kind of closure. :)
You know, you mentioned the book, and it's been 40 years since I read it, and the copy is at my mom's house, so I did the next best thing and looked it up. I'd forgotten a lot about it!

Like Brody's wife cheating on him with Matt Hooper; like the mayor being under pressure from the Mafia to keep the beaches open; like the relatively (compared to the movie) underwhelming ending.

Spielberg, Benchley and Gottlieb were wise to jettison all that stuff. It's a better, tighter, more streamlined and heroic movie for it.

Although I could draw parallels between the mayor in the book and Ron DeSantis' fealty to the Trump mafia.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, 91% Critic, 84% Audience rating at RT. 👀 It must be watched. With the cost of online streaming of new movies, a 1 month HBOMax subscription appears be in order. For the purpose of streaming, with teenagers <18 in attendance is there nudity or sex?

The Suicide Squad (2021)- Subscribed to HBO Max for a month so 4 could watch it. I’ll just say, I’ll never own this, it’s actually got me thinking that PG13 is better. ;) I chuckled several times, but it’s not the gore that turned me off, the movie is visually impressive, but blah, just did not click for me, and I really want to like Harley Quinn and Bloodsport, but the story execution was ehh, although she had a decent fight scene, her against many.

One quick comparison, in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Rocket sets up an ambush and just destroys to the tune of pop music, while most of this movie’s action was just numbing carnage. It’s the kind of visuals you might shocked by just one example of it, not ongoing. And I don’t need to hear “fuck” every 30 seconds.

I accept your disagreement in advance. :) PS, no $30 rental fee.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I accept your disagreement in advance. :) PS, no $30 rental fee.

No disagreement from me. Watched an hour and might not finish it. As you noted, it has been compared to GotG2, but it's not even close. Expected more from James Gunn.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
No disagreement here either, as I've stated elsewhere. The only two people I personally know who saw it didn't like it either.

It's also underperforming. At an initial box office of $26 million, "The Suicide Squad" has the dubious honor of being the first film to earn $100 million less than its predecessor did in its first week.

I'm reading lots of "yeah, but Covid" and "yeah, but HBO"...but that's a lot less money.

What's interesting is... "Suicide Squad" (2016) was savaged by the critics but made a ton of money. "The Suicide Squad" (2021) is adored by the critics but isn't making much money. Much like the two movies' styles, they are performing as literal inversions of each other.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
No disagreement from me. Watched an hour and might not finish it. As you noted, it has been compared to GotG2, but it's not even close. Expected more from James Gunn.
Ref: Suicide Squad 2021. My feeling was this was a decidedly different vision than Marvel. Maybe DC or someone advising them said they needed to make their mark to distinguish themselves from Marvel where imo in actuality, they should be doing their damnest to emulate Marvel. Based on the final product I can’t say an R rating was worth it. Btw, I would have completely missed the penis if I had not read about it here. :) And Harley’s sex scene was minimalist as almost why bother?

For myself, not all Marvel movies are wonderful, but some of these movies I truly cherish, and it’s not because of the human carnage, it because of the talent in story telling, the characters, the cinematography. The gore is good for some level of infrequent shock, but more of a detriment to entertainment if it’s overdone, and just processed into numbness. The best example of this I can think of is in Ant Man, when Darren Cross reduces one of his dissenting executives to a little glob of goo. This shocked me and it made a statement of the mindset of the villain.

And in Guardians of the Galaxy, Ronin is attempting to land his ship on Xander and Nova Corp creates a wall of linked ships that Ronin’s Dark Astor pushes through killing most of them. We saw at least one pilot being crushed, but instead of seeing him burst into a mass of gore, we see these ships explode. I prefer this.

Suicide Squad has a couple of likable characters, Col Flag, Bloodsport, Harley, but the director said he was going to pick some of the weirdest characters and the atmosphere is mostly depressing, at least so for me. In many cases movies like these are the sum of their total, some that actually leave you feeling good. In SS, I can only think of one memorable event, Harley’s solo fight but even that was not great, and it was lost in the rest, that I don’t care about.

Top Bottom
1 2