What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Disney's Jungle Cruise (2021)- A $30 rental, 5 people in attendance (3 children) and the tally is 3👍, 2 👎. Maybe if you are an adult, and a huge blind fan of The Rock's. ;) Zero edge, mostly mindless cotton candy fun, if you like over dosing on sugar. Note, I have liked Dwayne Johnson in other movies, but not this and not the Jumanji remake. In the Jumanji remake, it was the writing I really could not stand. It was an insult to the original <opinion>. :)

maxresdefault-2.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Disney's Jungle Cruise (2021)- A $30 rental

It's interesting that the D+ "rentals" are retained while you have D+, with as many views as you'd like. I know a few people that wound up letting a few other rounds of folks watch, one buddy of mine said about 10 people saw Black Widow using his Premier Access.

I get you might not want to watch again, but it's nice it's not just a 1-2 day purchase. Looks like it hits regular D+ on Nov 12th :)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
What's interesting is... "Suicide Squad" (2016) was savaged by the critics but made a ton of money. "The Suicide Squad" (2021) is adored by the critics but isn't making much money. Much like the two movies' styles, they are performing as literal inversions of each other.

Gave up on "critics" a long time ago. Viewer reviews are much more reliable.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
For myself, not all Marvel movies are wonderful, but some of these movies I truly cherish, and it’s not because of the human carnage, it because of the talent in story telling, the characters, the cinematography. The gore is good for some level of infrequent shock, but more of a detriment to entertainment if it’s overdone, and just processed into numbness. The best example of this I can think of is in Ant Man, when Darren Cross reduces one of his dissenting executives to a little glob of goo. This shocked me and it made a statement of the mindset of the villain.

My biggest issue with the Marvel movies is you seem to have to know so much about each character's backstory or you will miss out. Maybe the reason I have this is because my daughter is an absolute MCU nerd and knows more about the characters that I ever will, or will ever want to. But when she describes a movie, it always has info from a previous movie that I simply don't remember. So I sort of feel lost or I am missing something.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
"Man of Steel" (HBOMax). Watched it with my grandson. (We're slowly going through the whole DC oeuvre.)

I'm a Zack Snyder fan, want to see them restore the Snyderverse and all...but this is not his best film. We both agreed it's too long by a half hour, much of which is just fighting, fighting and more fighting. Lots of flashbacks to his childhood, which were annoying. It's also easily DC's most humorless film.

And...Zod. Really? Been there, done that. And a terraforming machine? Seen that too.

So...we both liked parts of it, but it's useful mostly as a jumping off point for the rest of Snyder's better DC work.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
"Man of Steel" (HBOMax). Watched it with my grandson. (We're slowly going through the whole DC oeuvre.)

I'm a Zack Snyder fan, want to see them restore the Snyderverse and all...but this is not his best film. We both agreed it's too long by a half hour, much of which is just fighting, fighting and more fighting. Lots of flashbacks to his childhood, which were annoying. It's also easily DC's most humorless film.

And...Zod. Really? Been there, done that. And a terraforming machine? Seen that too.

So...we both liked parts of it, but it's useful mostly as a jumping off point for the rest of Snyder's better DC work.
I liked this one! :)

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
If you're interested in POSSIBLY seeing Shang Chi TOMORROW, check out this site to see if your town is one of 25 this early showing is in.

Remember if you've NEVER been to a GOFOBO event:

They give out MORE tickets than there are seats. It's a first come first shot at seat type of event. Back in the day when I did these that involved being there hours in advance as long lines would develop, as you are NOT guaranteed a seat because of your printed pass / ticket.

Something to consider if you want to see Shang Chi bad enough and for free.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's interesting that the D+ "rentals" are retained while you have D+, with as many views as you'd like. I know a few people that wound up letting a few other rounds of folks watch, one buddy of mine said about 10 people saw Black Widow using his Premier Access.

I get you might not want to watch again, but it's nice it's not just a 1-2 day purchase. Looks like it hits regular D+ on Nov 12th :)
Good to know. I’m used to 48 or 72 hour rentals, and it they are good, will get a second viewing in before they expire.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I can wait. Hell, in the past we’ve waited a year or more for a movie to make it to HBO.
Gave up on "critics" a long time ago. Viewer reviews are much more reliable.
Only if they’re viewers with whom you happen to agree. Critics are viewers too.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My biggest issue with the Marvel movies is you seem to have to know so much about each character's backstory or you will miss out. Maybe the reason I have this is because my daughter is an absolute MCU nerd and knows more about the characters that I ever will, or will ever want to. But when she describes a movie, it always has info from a previous movie that I simply don't remember. So I sort of feel lost or I am missing something.
My counter is that you’d not be aware of of the trivia you maybe missing at least at first. :) You can watch the first Thor, the first Guardians of the Galaxy, and their sequels, or Dr Strange that function as good stand alone stories and are all you need to know and enjoy that particular chapter.

However in the big picture arc, you’ll see these Infinity Stones featured in the stories that may not be called Infinity Stones, but instead a Tesseract, or Either and not realize that all of these movies lead to Infinity War and End Game, and at some point you would end up feeling like you were missing something, because you would be, the big picture especially for End Game. :) I’m going to post my Infinity Stone Sage thread in this forum for reference.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, love some Mackie, that's such a fun Xmas movie (warning: it's very "adult"), and fuckwittery aside, that's a genius Kanye track.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
4A34B5CA-7139-449B-ADAB-DF2A7FD1D0AF.jpeg

“The Empty Man” (HBOMax) was on my list since I read about it recently. I’d say it’s best described as a horror/conspiracy thriller involving a new age cult.

It’s a little longish but stylishly shot and edited. The new age stuff is gobbledygook to me (as it always is) but the story keeps your interest. Overall I’d give it a B.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We've been desperately trying to watch Revenge of the Nerds. So far the only thing we can find is VOD (with ads and edited), I've tried to torrent but there aren't enough seeders, I've tried to rent from Amazon and they want to force you into bundling it with a free trial of something. Sigh, this one does not seem in the cards short of buying the DVD online somewhere.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
“The Empty Man” (HBOMax) was on my list since I read about it recently. I’d say it’s best described as a horror/conspiracy thriller involving a new age cult.

It’s a little longish but stylishly shot and edited. The new age stuff is gobbledygook to me (as it always is) but the story keeps your interest. Overall I’d give it a B.

It's good, I had heard about it quite a bit too, it's gotten quite a __cult__ following. There's like a whole 20-25 minute opening story, that's kind of it's own thing, even before any credits roll, it's pretty ambitious, for us, it mostly succeeded - it's definitely not just a "Summon the boogeyman ... " type horror.

Plus, Stephen Root, so automatically gets at least a B :D

I know but then I have give them my CC to start the subscription, download the app, watch the movie and then cancel. Can't I just pay $3.99 and rent it like a regular schmuck?

Yeah, it's a bit much for one movie, I mean, when we just recently did a week free, it was technically for just one movie, but we looked over their catalog in advance and saw at least 3 other films we wanted to watch. Plus, we did it though AppleTV, so didn't have to enter a CC, or go through any hoops to cancel, just a couple of taps on any of our Apple devices.

Warning: when you buy it through Apple, it's sort of integrated into the main Apple TV app, and it's not great, the main movie listings are just kind of piled together - I'd imagine a standalone purchase with their own app would be much better (I wasn't able to figure out a way to auth the stand-alone app on the Apple purchase like I've done with Amazon "channels").

Top Bottom
1 2