What Movie Are You Watching?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, we considered the 7 day for one elusive movie, in the review saw 2 other films we wanted to watch - but right afterwards didn't have any inclination to keep it.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
As a last ditch effort I caved and signed up for this, just to find out the movie still has "limited interruptions" I was out loud pissed. Immediately went back and cancelled that shitty service and spent the night downloading the torrent with 1 seeder (thanks whoever you are fellow seeder), desperate times call for desperate measures.

That AMC offering is terrible BTW, you can find other places to watch the movie with ads already without subscribing.
How much $? How often were there commercials? I think some other streaming services have two levels of subscriptions, limited and no commercials.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
How much $? How often were there commercials? I think some other streaming services have two levels of subscriptions, limited and no commercials.
I think AMC has a “massive amount of ads” tier and a “less ads than that” tier. They have AMC premiere and AMC plus… I think one of those is supposed to be ad-free. One of them requires you to have a cable subscription and one doesn’t…. What a mess.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Amazon just said "if you want to watch this (no other way to rent otherwise) movie you must subscribe to the free trial of AMC for $8.99 a month with a free week) and like a dumbass I did.

I think AMC has a “massive amount of ads” tier and a “less ads than that” tier. They have AMC premiere and AMC plus… I think one of those is supposed to be ad-free. One of them requires you to have a cable subscription and one doesn’t…. What a mess.
Good to know, I had no idea but there's no way I would pay that much for this service but I do love that we have a choice now in our selections.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Amazon just said "if you want to watch this (no other way to rent otherwise) movie you must subscribe to the free trial of AMC for $8.99 a month with a free week) and like a dumbass I did.

Good to know, I had no idea but there's no way I would pay that much for this service but I do love that we have a choice now in our selections.

The thing is if you have AMC on cable, there would be no need to subscribe to the + version unless they promised something like access to their entire library which I think is the deal? Or they are pulling a CBS All Access scam, making you pay extra for certain new shows. :unsure:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The thing is if you have AMC on cable, there would be no need to subscribe to the + version unless they promised something like access to their entire library which I think is the deal? Or they are pulling a CBS All Access scam, making you pay extra for certain new shows. :unsure:
My guess is the biggest difference would be access to VOD, you just have to watch it with ads, at least with that tier.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
03CF8D78-E858-46B7-ABE5-996A7533E49A.jpeg

Black Death (2010)- a very dark medieval story starring Sean Bean about Christians seeking a demonic source of the plague, and Pagans who think Christianity is the pits, with plenty of suffering to go around. There is no redemption to be found here.

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
51Yms7kT29L.jpg

"Top Secret!" is a criminally underrated comedy from the same folks that brought you "Airplane!" Somehow, however, this never took off (no pun intended).

Maybe it's because it's a weird cross between the pop idol and Cold War genres, but it really does work. The gags are hilariously inventive, and Val Kilmer even sings the songs himself.

I know Kilmer's been in a lot of films, but I'm hard pressed to name any really big hits besides this one, "Tombstone", "Batman Forever" and "Top Gun". And that's kind of a shame, because he's so talented, particularly at comedy.

A+

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
51Yms7kT29L.jpg

"Top Secret!" is a criminally underrated comedy from the same folks that brought you "Airplane!" Somehow, however, this never took off (no pun intended).

Maybe it's because it's a weird cross between the pop idol and Cold War genres, but it really does work. The gags are hilariously inventive, and Val Kilmer even sings the songs himself.

I know Kilmer's been in a lot of films, but I'm hard pressed to name any really big hits besides this one, "Tombstone", "Batman Forever" and "Top Gun". And that's kind of a shame, because he's so talented, particularly at comedy.

A+

The Doors was a big movie. Kilmer was very unhappy playing Batman because of the suit, it hindered him, so he backed out of any further participation to do The Saint, my favorite mostly because of the character, the romantic aspects appealed to me, and his and Elizabeth Shue’s performances, although it got slammed by critics and received only a 65% audience score. Over half liked it. :)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
With the Hitman's Girlfriend's Bodyguard now on PPV, I figured I needed to watch the first one. So with the wife out of town visiting her mother and taking one for the team (I had to stay home and feed the cats), I figured it was a good of time as any and watched the first half last night. Like it so far, so will finish it tonight.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
51Yms7kT29L.jpg

A+
I assume The Doors was profitable and it had quite the buzz. Not sure it was a monster hit though. As for Kilmer’s comedic skills, I’m a fan of Real Genius. It’s pretty silly, but he’s top notch in it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I assume The Doors was profitable and it had quite the buzz. Not sure it was a monster hit though. As for Kilmer’s comedic skills, I’m a fan of Real Genius. It’s pretty silly, but he’s top notch in it.

Why are you wearing that toy on your head?

If I wear it anywhere else, it chafes.

:ROFLMAO:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
As for Kilmer’s comedic skills, I’m a fan of Real Genius. It’s pretty silly, but he’s top notch in it.

Real Genius is still pretty fantastic, and we had a term for certain types of programmers decades ago we got from it - a Lazlo.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The Old Ways
Horror
R

Solid horror, fun, great (Mexican) cultural feel, some nice metaphors for loss of belief and culture, drugs, 21th century bull shit.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The Wailing (2016 South Korea)

I really enjoyed this movie. It is scary but also really keeps you guessing and wondering and trying to figure out who is the good guy or bad guy, or are there even good and bad guys?

Highly recommended. I saw it for free on the Plex TV app, and it says it’s from the “Crackle” streaming service, so if that app still exists, you can probably watch it on that too.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Finally about to watch (over the next two nights):

Expecting to be underwhelmed since Aretha and now her family gave the okay for this particular biopic. Friends' reviews already stated that it was watered down compared to the recent TV series with Cynthia Erivo.
Better than expected but still a pretty pedestrian, direct by numbers flick. Forrest Whitaker, IMHO, was the only standout performance. Expected more music and performances. And the end felt rushed/abrupt. Now I have to watch the National Geographic miniseries with Cynthia Erivo to compare.

Top Bottom
1 2