What Movie Are You Watching?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
New Matrix trailer is out, looking forward to this one. I was working in San Francisco during some of the filming and it was pretty cool.

They're going to run trailers until almost CHRISTMAS for this thing? What's left for the movie proper?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
They're going to run trailers until almost CHRISTMAS for this thing? What's left for the movie proper?
Reminds me of that time I watched a torrented Pirates of the Caribbean. I had seen a (way too long) trailer months earlier, finally felt like going to the cinema and looked for the movie. No screenings anywhere. Thought I’d missed it and somehow ended up with an … alternate screening.

Turned out it hadn’t even premiered here yet. 😂

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Frequently the issue with trailers, how many they create, how overboard they go to convince you to see it, and how many you choose to watch. :) On more than one occasion I have turned to my wife after watching one in the theater and saying did you enjoy the movie? ;)

Regarding the Matrix trailer, we see all of the original actors and some kind of conflict, most significantly we see Neo alive with his eyes intact, but maybe not, and if this is a sequel, I assume it is, my guess is that Neo’s existence is now as a denizen exclusive to the Martix, an independent program, not unlike the Oracle, the Keymaker, or the architect. So what is the conflict? Is it war against the machines chapter 4?

Last edited:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Jolt (2021 Prime Video)- Cate Beckinsale plays a woman with physical talents and an anger management issue controlled by shocking herself. Low critic and audience score at Rotten Tomatoes, but I liked this, and so will you if you enjoy a high energy, humorous romp even if it is unrealistic as she kicks butt all over town. They were not going for realism. :D

I loved the set up for how the character could believably handle herself, but the rest of the movie once it really starts goes so far off the rails I don't think they realized they weren't writing the same movie they started with. If a character's conscious plan of action is dumber than the one you'd come up with completely blasted drunk or high, I get too annoyed. Her plan in the movie was literally no plan, just stumble along until the plot fixes things for her.

The end, end that's a sort of set up deserved a backhand slap for even trying that crap! It was completely undeserved because you saw it during the movie's opening credits.

Kate Beckinsdale though... 🔥

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I believe they may try some misdirection with the trailers.

Right now it's got excitement because every internet detective is looking at the light reflections in the trailers & trying to discern major plot points.

The fun currently is in wondering why no Morpheus in the film, if you aren't aware of the Matrix MMO they had years ago.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I loved the set up for how the character could believably handle herself, but the rest of the movie once it really starts goes so far off the rails I don't think they realized they weren't writing the same movie they started with. If a character's conscious plan of action is dumber than the one you'd come up with completely blasted drunk or high, I get too annoyed. Her plan in the movie was literally no plan, just stumble along until the plot fixes things for her.

The end, end that's a sort of set up deserved a backhand slap for even trying that crap! It was completely undeserved because you saw it during the movie's opening credits.

Kate Beckinsdale though... 🔥
Spoilers

There is a simple plot:
  • Lindy (Beckinsdale 🔥🔥) has a history of anger/impulse management, so bad she wears a harness so when a self administered shock is delivered, she is able to control it.
  • She meets a man who seems to transcend her anger issues as she starts to fall for him In a physical relationship.
  • He is killed unexpectedly.
  • She wants vengence, sneaks into the police dept to steal their evidence, then starts looking for the perp based on the evidence.
  • Simple. :D
The comedic aspects of the story also offers some cushion. And I agree low expectations are required.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Spoilers

There is a simple plot:
  • Lindy (Beckinsdale 🔥🔥) has a history of anger/impulse management, so bad she wears a harness so when a self administered shock is delivered, she is able to control it.
  • She meets a man who seems to transcend her anger issues as she starts to fall for him In a physical relationship.
  • He is killed unexpectedly.
  • She wants vengence, sneaks into the police dept to steal their evidence, then starts looking for the perp based on the evidence.
  • Simple. :D
The comedic aspects of the story also offers some cushion. And I agree low expectations are required.
You left out so much stupid, you made the plot sound smarter & hopefully shorter than it is.

Solution to killing big boss guy, bring bomb you picked up, and bring it to him.

whaat-huh.gif

Yeah, that is NOT a plan. Especially if you already got your ass kicked once trying that, and had no bomb.

He was NOT killed unexpectedly. Just like Susan Sarandon walking back in at the end

Both of those things made me want to find who wrote that movie and punch them in their private parts with an uppercut.

And please for the love of any guy named Pete, can we stop with the whole Hollywood bit of people becoming expert stunt drivers the first time they drive a manual? :brickwall:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You left out so much stupid, you made the plot sound smarter & hopefully shorter than it is.

Solution to killing big boss guy, bring bomb you picked up, and bring it to him.

whaat-huh.gif

Yeah, that is NOT a plan. Especially if you already got your ass kicked once trying that, and had no bomb.

He was NOT killed unexpectedly. Just like Susan Sarandon walking back in at the end

Both of those things made me want to find who wrote that movie and punch them in their private parts with an uppercut.

And please for the love of any guy named Pete, can we stop with the whole Hollywood bit of people becoming expert stunt drivers the first time they drive a manual? :brickwall:
Ok, she wings it frequently without much if any planning. My only excuse is Beckinsdale is hot, and has a presence, the ridiculousness of the plot just rolled off me. :D

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Ok, she wings it frequently without much if any planning. My only excuse is Beckinsdale is hot, and has a presence, the ridiculousness of the plot just rolled off me. :D
To me she's great & the actual premise for a potential franchise I think is great, ...then there was the actual movie.

200w.gif

I also realize it's expensive to film in NY, but can we stop with the fake Euro/UK NY that they used there and in Infinite? Just don't say it's NY, it's less distracting.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Malignant
Rated R
Horror

Written and directed by James Wan, known for his other horror franchises like Saw, Insidious, The Conjuring (and several related spinoffs). Also directed Aquaman and Furious 7 those two films have a box office of about $2.7B, and most of his horror movies have been hugely profitable too, like The Conjuring made $300M on a $20M budget.

I mention his "bankability", because it gives him the freedom to do whatever he wants, and this movie is clearly something other than else :D

Hahaha, seriously, it's batshit insane. It's categorized as horror, but there's some tonal/plot shifts that I can just feel Wan thinking, "Oh yeah, let's do THIS now!"

Without getting too spoiler-y, it starts as kind of psychological horror (although it maintains some horror elements the whole time), pivots to a Cronenberg film, then winds up with The Matrix with some of The Boys (series) thrown in.

It's quite a creepy, funny, gory ride, very highly recommended if you like horror in general, but also dig on someone doing something totally different with the genre.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
82BA05B6-0619-4941-B023-8DCEED540BB1.jpeg

Wind River (2017)- Watched on Netflix, crime drama. Jeremy Renner plays a wildlife officer who is asked to help an FBI agent (Elizabeth Olsen) who is out of her depth investigating a dead woman found out in the snow of the back country in Wind River Reservation, Wyoming. (y) (y)(y)

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Knights of Badassdom (2013 Prime Video)- Well… If you like lots of D&D/Renaissance Festival jargon, by Renaissance Festival participants in a B movie accompanied by a weak plot of accidentally summoning a demon with R rated gore, you might still get a few laughs yet. :D

CAC5A9A5-008A-4D0B-906E-139175AA1BA1.jpeg

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
The Knights of Badassdom (2013 Prime Video)- Well… If you like lots of D&D/Renaissance Festival jargon, by Renaissance Festival participants in a B movie accompanied by a weak plot of accidentally summoning a demon with R rated gore, you might still get a few laughs yet. :D

Cool, cool, cool.

I think we kinda liked it anyway.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
4CFDA122-E4D0-4E8A-A596-FC5E4EE8A8BF.jpeg

The Lost City of Z (2016)- Story of Percy Fawcett sent to South America to draw a boundary between countries, discovers artifacts of an ancient civilization, and an abbreviated chronicle of his continuing attempts to find the City of Zed. This story feels historical, but ultimately it is grim, nothing that I would describe as memorable. You may enjoy it. :)

Large lost settlements since then have been found in the Amazon in the vicinity of where Fawcett was looking for his city. It has been speculated that disesase brought by Spanish Conquistadors may have caused the collapse of this civilization to re absorbed by the jungle.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching the 2019 biopic about the British intel services translator and analyst Katharine Gun, caught up in a breach of top secret US-UK intel agency email that was released to the press during the efforts of Bush 43 trying to get Blair to support the invasion of Iraq. I really enjoyed the film. Actual clips from news of the era certainly grounded the film in the times being portrayed. Ms Gun was played by Keira Knightley. The film was directed by noted South African filmmaker Gavin Hood (Rendition, Eye in the Sky etc). Other actors included Matt Smith, Ralph Fiennes, Rhys Ifans, Matthew Goode...

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The Brass Teapot (2012)

This movie explores what happens when a young married couple discovers a magic teapot. It dispenses free money, but of course there’s a catch…

It stars Juno Temple of Ted Lasso fame.

I really enjoyed this movie - it has a lot of funny moments, while treating its premise with some seriousness as well.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Planet Of The Apes (2001)- Wow, this movie got terrible reviews, but I found it to be worthy, ok not as good as the original, but I liked the portrayals, ape humor, and the gist of the story, other than the off the wall ending. :D Paul Giamatti is one of my favorites. Things were looking up, if I had been Wahlberg, I’d have considered staying. :) The original’s ending was much more profound.

You know this is a spoiler. ;)

“You maniacs! You blew it up!
Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!”​

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
For anyone who enjoyed Mike Flanagan's TV work, like Midnight Mass, Haunting of Hill House ...

Check out Hush (2016), it's a solid horror flick (the slasher/home invasion sub-genre), written/directed by him, as well as his wife, and collaborator, Kate Siegel, who also stars. A couple of other actors from Midnight Mass are also in this, though it's a pretty small cast.

It has a neat plot element, from IMDB:

A deaf and mute writer who retreated into the woods to live a solitary life must fight for her life in silence when a masked killer appears at her window.

Top Bottom
1 2