What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Some people are suggesting that this photo from Chris Hemsworth's IG (Taika Waititi left, Tessa Thompson right):

View attachment 13024

Is a "coded" message about the trailer release date :D i.e., from left to right 11, 4, 22, like a date, 11/04/2022, April 11 ...

Hahaha, that's a bit of a reach, but I do see Marvel hasn't made any changes to the July 8, 2022 release date, and Taika Waititi was quoted saying something like, "Oh, there are some minor reshoots, but we'll be done ...", like done in time? The problem with moving the movie is it moves their whole schedule around since they have a very specific release timeline.
Or 2, 7, 22, where 7 is the month, but I’ll buy 11 too, or the middle is an 8. :)

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, I did not know this July was the release date on the next Thor. That is great news, sincerely.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Between this and movies like "No Sudden Move", it's almost like a return to the '70s when "Movie of the Week" went in for "little" films that were shorter and had TV-level stars and much smaller budgets. (Not that many of those were good, but there were a few great ones in there like "The Night Stalker" and "Brian's Song").

Now it's as if guys like Soderbergh are happy to make smaller, less splashy films for HBOMax and let the theaters have the huge, expensive, star-studded movies like "The Batman" and "Death on the Nile". And that works. As much as I liked "Kimi", I can't see the point of paying to see it on a huge screen in a theater.
Just finished Death on the Nile , both the spouse and I enjoyed it. I guessed it from the start, really. :D
This seemed different than other Agatha Christy stories although I am not well read on her stories, but instead of spending good portion of the movie figuring out who did it, here there was an active killer. (y)

Critics hammered it’s CGI. At best I can say they attempted to give it a stylized look as n happening 90 years ago.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just finished Death on the Nile , both the spouse and I enjoyed it. I guessed it from the start, really. :D
This seemed different than other Agatha Christy stories although I am not well read on her stories, but instead of spending good portion of the movie figuring out who did it, here there was an active killer. (y)

Critics hammered it’s CGI. At best I can say they attempted to give it a stylized look as n happening 90 years ago.
I liked it. You may want to check out Murder on the Orient Express from a couple years back. Some of the same cast.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The Night House
2020 | R | 1h 47m
Horror

As the clues mount, Bruckner doles out scares in mounting intensity, a template for haunted-house movies dating at least back to 1944’s The Uninvited. It’s skillfully executed enough to make The Night House worth a look on technical merit alone, turning every corner of a luxurious lake house into a site of deep dread. But what’s memorable is the film’s interest in exploring ideas deeper than how scary it might be to be unexpectedly alone and seemingly surrounded by malevolent specters.

Really solid, beautifully filmed, solid performances, creepy, it's a study of grief, loneliness, despair, psychological horror, a ghost story, it's a slow burn that creates an increasing sense of dread, some fun twists and turns, and a pretty powerful ending. Currently on HBOMAX.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
1649775378482.png

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Catching a few Disney films before an experimental signup goes away, Today on a coffee break (well a rain break, dammit, from the pre-gardening chores outside), I've transported myself to the Pacific via a watch of some of National Geographic series Wild Hawaii. Gorgeous greenery compared to the still browned-off turf around these parts, even if recent rainfall is starting to wake things up.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
3 hours, tho, fucking why?

Hahaha, yeah, it's long, it's kind of like a 2 part, action-procedural, like Heat (which is real close to the same length).

At least at home you've got unlimited bathroom breaks, you can pause for drink service, make some popcorn, snacks, heck, order some delivery food :D

Catching a few Disney films before an experimental signup goes away, Today on a coffee break (well a rain break, dammit, from the pre-gardening chores outside), I've transported myself to the Pacific via a watch of some of National Geographic series Wild Hawaii. Gorgeous greenery compared to the still browned-off turf around these parts, even if recent rainfall is starting to wake things up.

Check out Soul, the 2020 Pixar film before your trial runs out. I think of recent Pixar, it's play the best for adults (and you'll dig on the jazz music vibe as well).

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Check out Soul, the 2020 Pixar film before your trial runs out. I think of recent Pixar, it's play the best for adults (and you'll dig on the jazz music vibe as well).

I'm still making my way through a bunch of Pixar shorts I hadn't caught up with. But I confess to having bought Pixar's five or six minute Piper years ago already. What a sweet little film.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
In the SF Bay Area, PBS' Frontline documentary Putin's Road to War just started.

Should be good.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Someone said, The worst Batman ever. Your thoughts? I admit up front I’m done with Batman, Gotham City, and its freaks, so it would take quite the testimony to get me to sample it. :)

I haven't seen it, but solid reviews (from people who have tastes that match mine), it's "free" (it's literally 3 taps on an Apple TV remote ...), love Batman as a character, special when in detective mode (which sounds like a good part of this movie), excellent director, cast, etc.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
2B6645AC-3EB2-4BEF-A96D-DE95AAAC55E8.jpeg
Duh!​

No Way Home (2021)- (n) Spider-Man. It’s rare that I would comment on a movie I have not finished, but we got distracted and turned it off for later, although we rented it, and will be driving all day today up to Wichita. However, I saw enough to be turned off. And unless something miraculous happens in this movie, it also proves after looking at Rotten Tomatoes stellar ratings you can’t ever trust ratings. :)

Some premise spoilers follow

IMO the plot is unworthy. I don’t insist on agreement. Spider-Man’s identity becomes known, he ends up visiting Dr. Strange who through some dialog lets him know there is a spell which could make the world forget he is Spider-Man. And while Strange is trying to cast this spell, adorable Peter (this is so funny!!) keeps changing his request as to who can remember, like 5 times, until the spell becomes corrupted and Strange has to shut it down… except he can’t and it just so happens that a group of Spiderman characters from what we know from previous iterations of the series are brought in from the Multiverse (Isn't this such clever writing? Disney’’s excuse for shoddy plots) into this Peter’s world. OH the audience will just 💕 this!!

Before Strange is going to simply send them back via more magic, it becomes known that several of these characters are dead where they came from, and Strange is logically, responsibly just going to send them back to their proper place and proper fate, (anything is possible with MAGIC!) adorable Peter has a teenage tantrum, oh that’s so cruel!!, and actually starts fighting Strange To stop him, as in fisticuffs.

Well adorable Peter gets his way, he just wants to help and mayhem breaks out. So far, this movie should have been titled, How Peter Parker Single Handedly Screwed The World Up With Help. I did not think it was clever, adorable or even nostalgic to see Green Goblin and Doc Oct even if they are played by the original actors.

Then we got distracted and turned it off. Don’t know if we’ll finish it if we have to rent it again.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

No Way Home (2021)- (n) Spider-Man. It’s rare that I would comment on a movie I have not finished, but we got distracted and turned it off for later, although we rented it, and will be driving all day today up to Wichita. However, I saw enough to be turned off. And unless something miraculous happens in this movie, it also proves after looking at Rotten Tomatoes stellar ratings you can’t ever trust ratings. :)

Some premise spoilers follow

IMO the plot is unworthy. I don’t insist on agreement. Spider-Man’s identity becomes known, he ends up visiting Dr. Strange who through some dialog lets him know there is a spell which could make the world forget he is Spider-Man. And while Strange is trying to cast this spell, adorable Peter (this is so funny!!) keeps changing his request as to who can remember, like 5 times, until the spell becomes corrupted and Strange has to shut it down… except he can’t and it just so happens that a group of Spiderman characters from what we know from previous iterations of the series are brought in from the Multiverse (Isn't this such clever writing? Disney’’s excuse for shoddy plots) into this Peter’s world. OH the audience will just 💕 this!!

Before Strange is going to simply send them back via more magic, it becomes known that several of these characters are dead where they came from, and Strange is logically, responsibly just going to send them back to their proper place and proper fate, (anything is possible with MAGIC!) adorable Peter has a teenage tantrum, oh that’s so cruel!!, and actually starts fighting Strange To stop him, as in fisticuffs.

Well adorable Peter gets his way, he just wants to help and mayhem breaks out. So far, this movie should have been titled, How Peter Parker Single Handedly Screwed The World Up With Help. I did not think it was clever, adorable or even nostalgic to see Green Goblin and Doc Oct even if they are played by the original actors.

Then we got distracted and turned it off. Don’t know if we’ll finish it if we have to rent it again.
Only saw it once at the movies but didn’t the other Spider-men and the villains come through because the spell captured people that already knew that Parker was Spider-Man? Gaddamn, you are tough on Marvel film plot points and also obsessed enough to start multiple threads on them. I thought this movie was a gas, and I’m not a big fan of the franchise.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Only saw it once at the movies but didn’t the other Spider-men and the villains come through because the spell captured people that already knew that Parker was Spider-Man? Gaddamn, you are tough on Marvel film plot points and also obsessed enough to start multiple threads on them. I thought this movie was a gas, and I’m not a big fan of the franchise.
Guilty of being an old curmudgeon. :D However, there is only one other Marvel movie that I blasted. Most I like, as they are very watchable, and a select few I love.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow, I did not know this July was the release date on the next Thor. That is great news, sincerely.

Yes! And it looks like it's STILL July 2022 :D

Holy shit ... !!!

1650372791457.png

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I haven't seen it, but solid reviews (from people who have tastes that match mine), it's "free" (it's literally 3 taps on an Apple TV remote ...), love Batman as a character, special when in detective mode (which sounds like a good part of this movie), excellent director, cast, etc.

Finally! We started early, ~7p knowing we'd be running out of steam if we started late.

The Batman
2022 | PG-13 | 2h 56m

Sure it's long, probably too long, but so beautifully executed - it also focuses on the bolded part above - again, __that__ is the flavor of the character I really love. I rewatched the the first two Nolan Batman movies, they're terrific, but it's a totally different character, he starts at the same place, but becomes way bigger than life, he's James Bond with a secret identity and a cape.

Clearly, this is Batman: Year One, the early Miller, there's some serious Rorschach (Watchmen) vibe with the voiceovers (and the perspective on Gotham, i.e., "Is it even worth saving?"). This is the character early in their career, they're tired, it seems pointless, there's very little Bruce Wayne in this film, because from a story perspective, he barely exists.

It's a thriller with elements of horror, some Zodiac, some Seven (aka Se7en), definitely the same type of Fincher universe. Zoe is amazing, Jeffrey Wright always so good, and wow, some of the other roles (I'll avoid so it's a surprise) , I didn't realize they had that in them, really chilling.

The ending goes a little more for the blockbuster feel, it seemed a tiny bit out of place, though I recognize a movie is a product, and that's part of the requirements (for films in this genre with this price tag ...)

8.8 out of 10

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched The Batman last night and also enjoyed it. My wife immediately said “I don’t know why this needed to be made”, which, of course, $.

Nice to see the character so openly working with police, not just secret meetings with Gordon, which happened to much in the comics. As Batman films go, it qualifies as a fresh take.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched The Batman last night and also enjoyed it. My wife immediately said “I don’t know why this needed to be made”, which, of course, $.

Nice to see the character so openly working with police, not just secret meetings with Gordon, which happened to much in the comics. As Batman films go, it qualifies as a fresh take.
Was something new brought to the table or the same old story with new curtains?

Top Bottom
1 2