Windows 11

JamesMike

Power User
Reaction score
One thing about Windows 11 which is not discussed much is your PC needs TPM installed, Trusted Platform Module, to install Windows 11. Newer PC have it, people with older PCs will need to check if they have it.

U

User 189

One thing about Windows 11 which is not discussed much is your PC needs TPM installed, Trusted Platform Module, to install Windows 11. Newer PC have it, people with older PCs will need to check if they have it.
Along with an 8th generation Intel CPU or the AMD equivalent.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Most people can't be bothered to do that, especially the average consumer.

4GB of RAM and Secure Boot is another requirement, but that's more forgivable. There's no 32-bit version of Windows 11.

It annoys me, because I don't have TPM at all. I combed through my bios, and despite the fact that my (listed as unsupported by Win11) CPU supposedly has PTT onboard, I couldn't find anything security related.

Given that I'm in the Insider Dev channel, I can still goof around with the beta builds, but I'll never be able to officially install it on this PC.

Windows Central ran a poll asking whether people's computers supported Win11 or not. Only 23% have answered yes.

Last edited:
U

User 189

It annoys me, because I don't have TPM at all. I combed through my bios, and despite the fact that my (listed as unsupported by Win11) CPU supposedly has PTT onboard, I couldn't find anything security related.

Given that I'm in the Insider Dev channel, I can still goof around with the beta builds, but I'll never be able to officially install it on this PC.

Windows Central ran a poll asking whether people's computers supported Win11 or not. Only 23% have answered yes.

Renzatic

Reaction score

Someone made a program called WhyNotWin11 that tells you exactly why you won't be able to upgrade. Here's my results...

Win11.jpg

U

User 189

Someone made a program called WhyNotWin11 that tells you exactly why you won't be able to upgrade. Here's my results...

View attachment 6313

Can you active TPM through the BIOS?
The real requirement is TPM 1.2, with 2.0 being preferred. Problem is, I don't even have that.
No, TPM 2.0 is the real requirement.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Can you active TPM through the BIOS?

No, TPM 2.0 is the real requirement.

MS talks about what they call hard floor, and soft floor requirements. The former being what you absolutely need for Win11 to install, and the latter being the preferred option for optimal performance. TPM 1.2 is a hard floor limit. If you don't have it, you can't use Windows 11. TPM 2.0 is a soft floor limit. You'll get a warning if you don't have it, but you can ignore it, and move on with the install.

Either way, I'm thinking about moving back to Linux for the meanwhile. The only reason why I came back to Windows was because of the Affinity programs, but...eh, I can get by without them. Begrudingly.

U

User 189

MS talks about what they call hard floor, and soft floor requirements. The former being what you absolutely need for Win11 to install, and the latter being the preferred option for optimal performance. TPM 1.2 is a hard floor limit. If you don't have it, you can't use Windows 11. TPM 2.0 is a soft floor limit. You'll get a warning if you don't have it, but you can ignore it, and move on with the install.

Either way, I'm thinking about moving back to Linux for the meanwhile. The only reason why I came back to Windows was because of the Affinity programs, but...eh, I can get by without them. Begrudingly.
No, TPM 2.0 is the hard floor limit from what I've heard.

Renzatic

Reaction score
No, TPM 2.0 is the hard floor limit from what I've heard.

It looks like they've changed their minds, and got rid of all the soft floor requirements altogether. Now TPM 2.0 is required.

Who knows what the hell is going on.

U

User 189

It looks like they've changed their minds, and got rid of all the soft floor requirements altogether. Now TPM 2.0 is required.

Who knows what the hell is going on.

I don't even know who to trust at this point, not even Microsoft. The communication between Microsoft and the user is so hilariously poor.

At least we can wait for the first preview build of Windows 11 to be released today.

Renzatic

Reaction score
I don't even know who to trust at this point, not even Microsoft. The communication between Microsoft and the user is so hilariously poor.

At least we can wait for the first preview build of Windows 11 to be released today.

Not me. I decided to say screw it, and installed Fedora. I'll get Windows 11 when I get a new PC.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Will Windows 11 persuade anybody to switch over from macOS?
Probably not, but we will have to wait and see! ;)
NOPE. Does it still have the registry? I never have issues with the MacOS-Catalina (knock on wood). ;) Semi-frequently I find myself cursing Windows. Note, I use Windows 10 daily in the course of game playing.

Renzatic

Reaction score
NOPE. Does it still have the registry? I never have issues with MacOS (knock on wood). ;)

It likely will. Though I still have no idea why people scream about the registry so much. I rarely ever see it cause any problems.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It likely will. Though I still have no idea why people scream about the registry so much. I rarely ever see it cause any problems.
This is a prejudice that goes back to Windows needing a registry to know where stuff is while the Mac as far as I know does not need one to find programs or for programs to function. Now maybe I’m mistaken about such things, but once upon a time if I am remembering correctly, if you moved a program in Windows by copy/paste you would break it, where this was not an issue on the Mac.

Renzatic

Reaction score
This is a prejudice that goes back to Windows needing a registry to know where stuff is while the Mac as far as I know does not need one to find programs or for programs to function. Now maybe I’m mistaken about such things, but once upon a time if I am remembering correctly, if you moved a program in Windows by copy/paste you would break it, where this was not an issue on the Mac.

If it's an installed app, yeah. Though why would you be moving your apps out of Program Files or %appdata%?

Last edited:
U

User 189

macOS uses .plist files to know where stuff is.
Yeah, antivirus protection does a good enough job of protecting the Registry from being attacked.

Windows will always have the Registry unless they nuke and pave the whole operating system.
Note, I use Windows 10 daily in the course of game playing.
Will you not be updating to Windows 11?

Top Bottom
1 2