Windows 11

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Windows will always have the Registry unless they nuke and pave the whole operating system.

That's what Win10x was supposed to be, a from scratch rewrite of Windows with none of the legacy stuff holding it back. Though it started out as a mobile OS, it's eventual goal was to make its way to desktop and laptop machines.

Guess they couldn't get Win32 apps working well on it, so hey, we got Win11 instead.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Well, here's Windows 11 in all its glory. Doesn't look half bad.

...still not tabs in File Explorer though. GOD, THAT MAKES ME SO MAD!

U

User 189

Well, here's Windows 11 in all its glory. Doesn't look half bad.

...still not tabs in File Explorer though. GOD, THAT MAKES ME SO MAD!

The revamped Microsoft Store is amazing. I can't wait for it to flourish with all of the common traditional win32 programs we've come to know and love! :love:

U

User 189

That's what Win10x was supposed to be, a from scratch rewrite of Windows with none of the legacy stuff holding it back. Though it started out as a mobile OS, it's eventual goal was to make its way to desktop and laptop machines.

Guess they couldn't get Win32 apps working well on it, so hey, we got Win11 instead.
Windows 10X was supposed to be a Chrome OS competitor before Microsoft canned it. 🤦‍♂️

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
If it's an installed app, yeah. Though why would you be moving your apps out of Program Files or %appdata%?
Not all of my apps sit on the C drive and they did not under Windows 7.
macOS uses .plist files to know where stuff is.

Yeah, antivirus protection does a good enough job of protecting the Registry from being attacked.

Windows will always have the Registry unless they nuke and pave the whole operating system.

Will you not be updating to Windows 11?
Unknown at this point. I’ll continue to use W10 until I have a reason to upgrade.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Windows 10X was supposed to be a Chrome OS competitor before Microsoft canned it. 🤦‍♂️

That's what it's initial release was supposed to be: a thin and light version of Windows to compete with the other thin and light OSes. Basically, Windows 10S, but better. Though there were plans to eventually bring in Win32 support, and make it a true, complete desktop OS, possibly replacing Win10 at some indeterminate point in the future.

U

User.191

Having used all versions of Windows from v1 onwards (yeah, I'm an old fart) I have to say I'm now bored of it.

10 has been a fine, stable OS but it just feels so... blah - hopefully 11 might liven things up but I also wonder if I've been to heavily influenced by Mac OS...

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Having used all versions of Windows from v1 onwards (yeah, I'm an old fart) I have to say I'm now bored of it.

10 has been a fine, stable OS but it just feels so... blah - hopefully 11 might liven things up but I also wonder if I've been to heavily influenced by Mac OS...
No wonder you’re a trillionaire and I’m not, I never used anything before 3.0 for real.

3.11 was good, so I’m confident 11 will be good as well.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
No wonder you’re a trillionaire and I’m not, I never used anything before 3.0 for real.

3.11 was good, so I’m confident 11 will be good as well.
Windows "with networking" :LOL: I'm also dating myself but when I first started out working in a computer shop this was the latest and greatest thing we would install on top of DOS 6.22. Those were the days, before plug & play when you had dip switches on your modems and sound cards, you sort of had to know your shit to build a computer and set it all up.

As for Windows 11, other than moving the menu to the middle (is it really THAT novel?) what is everyone's experience so far? I have a personal laptop that I don't care much about that I'll probably upgraded to try it out.

U

User 189

As for Windows 11, other than moving the menu to the middle (is it really THAT novel?) what is everyone's experience so far? I have a personal laptop that I don't care much about that I'll probably upgraded to try it out.
I'm loving the new Microsoft Store. :)

U

User.191

Windows "with networking" :LOL: I'm also dating myself but when I first started out working in a computer shop this was the latest and greatest thing we would install on top of DOS 6.22. Those were the days, before plug & play when you had dip switches on your modems and sound cards, you sort of had to know your shit to build a computer and set it all up.

MS-DOS 6? Sheesh, I cut my eye-teeth on v2 just after they come out with directories.

My first proper PC was an Apricot with a huge mammoth 10MB drive and an 80x25 Green screen...

Renzatic

Reaction score
Hell, I didn't get my first proper PC until 1997. I was slumming it on an Atari ST up until then.

U

User.191

MS-DOS 6? Sheesh, I cut my eye-teeth on v2 just after they come out with directories.

My first proper PC was an Apricot with a huge mammoth 10MB drive and an 80x25 Green screen...
Found it...

1625419473212.jpeg

U

User 189

I might do that. The only things I miss from Explorer when using it is the hit or miss drag 'n drop, and the option to group by type (different from sort by type in that it gives each file extension it's own little partition in the window). If they could fix and add that, plus a few general speedups and bug improvements, it'd be a perfect replacement for Explorer.
You might want to take a look at this.
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1418231016381091842/

Top Bottom
1 2