California recall election now has 70 people on the ballot

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Yeah the gap has grown to nearly 20 points over the last few weeks and you can see the desperation Republicans are showing in their ads now, they're crazy ridiculous. Democrats on the other hand have their foot on the gas and aren't taking any of in for granted, pulling out all the stops which is smart because Republicans afraid to vote by mail will show up in huge numbers on Tuesday.
I hope some good comes from this. I could imagine this leading to the elimination of recall elections in Florida.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wait? What?

Wasn't McGowan part of #MeToo and lead the charge against Kavanaugh? Why is she cuddling up to Elder?
Go figure, this one is bizarre but I think it's going to take a lot more than this to save Elder. This guy's crazy and out of touch ads are the reason Newsom is up by 20 points right now.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Go figure, this one is bizarre but I think it's going to take a lot more than this to save Elder. This guy's crazy and out of touch ads are the reason Newsom is up by 20 points right now.

Wow, the polling from 538 shows a shift from just .02 percent for keeping Newsome in August to a 14.7 point lead. Dang. That's a big, fast shift.

I suspect that people like the idea in the abstract, but hate the actual candidates.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wow, the polling from 538 shows a shift from just .02 percent for keeping Newsome in August to a 14.7 point lead. Dang. That's a big, fast shift.

I suspect that people like the idea in the abstract, but hate the actual candidates.
Many have him over 20 points right now and they're saying it's mostly because Republicans have motivated Democrats to vote, and in a state this blue it's hard for any Republican to overcome. They've successfully tied Elder to Trump and his own ads play a big role in his demise IMO, when you take a state that favors mandates by 70% and say "I will remove all mandates on day one" you're not winning anyone over.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wait? What?

Wasn't McGowan part of #MeToo and lead the charge against Kavanaugh? Why is she cuddling up to Elder?

Never mind, I can answer my own question with Weigel's thread.

She's gone full on loco. I mean, I __kind__ of feel for her, she certainly dealt with years of abuse through various channels (imagine that, Brian Warner is a dickface ...), but she snapped, and I think this is her play to be relevant.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
She's gone full on loco. I mean, I __kind__ of feel for her, she certainly dealt with years of abuse through various channels (imagine that, Brian Warner is a dickface ...), but she snapped, and I think this is her play to be relevant.
Yeah, sad all around.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
So for those living in CA, has there been much discussion about fixing this after the election?

My concern for CA would be that they remove ALL citizen led lawmaking, including referendums. My state doesn't have that option and I wish we did.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
For FUCK sake, this IS republicans now...

But California Republican Larry Elder, the talk-show host who is leading most polls of the replacement contest that will name the new governor if a majority of voters decide to remove Newsom in a separate ballot question, isn’t waiting for the actual results to concede defeat and then allege fraud, as NBC News reports:

Republican Larry Elder appealed on Monday to his supporters to use an online form to report fraud, which claimed it had “detected fraud” in the “results” of the California recall election “resulting in Governor Gavin Newsom being reinstated as governor.”

The only problem: On Monday when the link was live on Elder’s campaign site, the election hadn’t even happened yet. No results had been released. And Elder was still campaigning to replace Newsom as governor.

This series of rather bold if premature claims were made on a site called “Fight California Election Fraud” that was “Paid For By Larry Elder Ballot Measure Committee Recall Newsom Committee.” The site also avers that with respect to the fraud claims, its “primary analytical tool used was Benford’s Law.” This, as aficionados of the Big Lie probably know, is a statistical theorem involving the likelihood of certain numerals in random displays of numbers. Experts on Benford’s Law have repeatedly and heatedly and redundantly objected to its use to “prove” fraud in election returns. So Elder’s campaign is engaged in crank conspiracy theories to claim election returns it cannot possible know at this point reflect fraud for which it has no evidence. And it’s doing so when at the same time Elder’s allies are expressing confidence that voters are about to throw Newsom out of office. It’s a classic heads-I-win, tails-you-lose attitude similar to the kind of things Trump said before, during and after the 2020 elections.

Republicans at this point should just come out say it, if they believe they will lose ANY race, it MUST have cheating in it.

ONLY the races they may lose though, are ones they suspect cheating HAD to happen.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
For FUCK sake, this IS republicans now...

Republicans at this point should just come out say it, if they believe they will lose ANY race, it MUST have cheating in it.

ONLY the races they may lose though, are ones they suspect cheating HAD to happen.
He’s getting a bit of a late start. Trump started talking about fraud way before the election actually happened. I believe it was April 2020 when he started beating the war drums… more than 6 months before the election. His advisers must have shown him his abysmal poll numbers.

It is not hidden that they claim fraud before the election. If they win, well then all the patriots must have worked hard to prevent fraud. If they lose, it was the evil Democrats getting Mexicans to stream through gaps in the wall to vote illegally. I believe on PRSI there was a thread that ran for months where almost every single Republican bought into this nonsense. They were claiming that vote-by-mail was going to lead to millions of fraudulent votes.

If Republicans want to be taken seriously, they should drop the fraud BS and try to win an election on the merits. Instead they prefer to pander to xenophobes and encourage them to commit violence. Their base is shrinking. They will lose more and more elections, and BS fraud claims and more violence will be all they have. Now is the time for the GOP to turn things around, but the very few who are trying are excommunicated from the party (Liz Cheney et al).

D

Deleted member 215

So for those living in CA, has there been much discussion about fixing this after the election?

My concern for CA would be that they remove ALL citizen led lawmaking, including referendums. My state doesn't have that option and I wish we did.

There’s been some talk about changing it to a run-off between the finalists if no candidate gets 50%, or making it so a recall is more like an impeachment and can only be done in the case of crimes or flagrantly unethical behavior.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
There’s been some talk about changing it to a run-off between the finalists if no candidate gets 50%, o

Still have the problem of the incumbent party not wanting to run anyone of substance in the recall. It simply should go to the LT Governor.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Still have the problem of the incumbent party not wanting to run anyone of substance in the recall. It simply should go to the LT Governor.
It's a 110 year old law, one party or the other just needs to reform it. It has implications on both sides though so they need the will to do it, either way it's a terrible system.

Top Bottom
1 2