Ron DeSantis: What in the ever loving fuck is wrong with him?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The bigger goal is to push people out of public schooling into charter schools where private companies can rape and pillage our tax dollars without accountability or oversite. And unfortunately our public schooling is so piss poor that nobody will really be able to claim our students were doing better in it.
The fact is, there’s no way to compare since charter/private schools do not follow the same accountability measures as public schools. They are not accredited by the same boards. They do not give the same standardized tests (up until college entrance exams like ACT and SAT). And many public schools are a magnitude better than many private schools.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The fact is, there’s no way to compare since charter/private schools do not follow the same accountability measures as public schools. They are not accredited by the same boards. They do not give the same standardized tests (up until college entrance exams like ACT and SAT). And many public schools are a magnitude better than many private schools.

But the perception is private and charter schools are better. And now toss in Republicans trying to convince everybody public schools are brainwashing kids into being communists at the hands of pervert groomers. Of course this all ignores the fact that most kids are zoned out all day and not absorbing a lot of anything.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
But the perception is private and charter schools are better. And now toss in Republicans trying to convince everybody public schools are brainwashing kids into being communists at the hands of pervert groomers. Of course this all ignores the fact that most kids are zoned out all day and not absorbing a lot of anything.
My theory on public schools today is that 1. More than a handful of kids are over medicated, or at least more so than... wait for it... "back in my day." Gosh I am officially old. 2. IMO public schools have a lot of pressure to do well on standardized testing. So... I think they don't teach with critical thinking in mind, but the curriculum is more geared towards preparing to pass the standardized test with good scores.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
My theory on public schools today is that 1. More than a handful of kids are over medicated, or at least more so than... wait for it... "back in my day." Gosh I am officially old. 2. IMO public schools have a lot of pressure to do well on standardized testing. So... I think they don't teach with critical thinking in mind, but the curriculum is more geared towards preparing to pass the standardized test with good scores.

Back in my day (I'm 56), we would get our 🍑 beat if we got out of hand. No medication needed.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Back in my day (I'm 56), we would get our 🍑 beat if we got out of hand. No medication needed.
Ah the days of "tough love", which on its own damaged kids in a different way. Killing their confidence, and in some cases making them give up. Believe me I am nearly one of those kids. I was told in High School, by my guidance counselor mind you, to not pursue a college education but to go into the Army. Now there is nothing wrong with serving your country, but telling a kid that they are not College material in the 10th grade is pretty pathetic. If it wasn't for Mr Gallagher, my Spanish teacher, I would have probably not gone to College. Just as a side note, I was the bottom of his class, he just knew there was more to me than my mediocre grades.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
And along with that the parents probably sided with the teacher.

Oh hell yeah. Spanked at school, spanked when I got home. Downside of living in a small town. Mom knew within minutes I had been spanked at school.

Ah the days of "tough love", which on its own damaged kids in a different way. Killing their confidence, and in some cases making them give up. Believe me I am nearly one of those kids. I was told in High School, by my guidance counselor mind you, to not pursue a college education but to go into the Army. Now there is nothing wrong with serving your country, but telling a kid that they are not College material in the 10th grade is pretty pathetic. If it wasn't for Mr Gallagher, my Spanish teacher, I would have probably not gone to College. Just as a side note, I was the bottom of his class, he just knew there was more to me than my mediocre grades.

It's not just school that does that. My SIL and her husband both flunked out of college so they saw no value in it. Their oldest didn't go and has been job hopping ever since. The middle one wanted to go to college but his parents refused to discuss it with him, so he did what you almost did. He joined the Army. He did 8 years and in his case, it certainly was for the better as it taught him some discipline. His mom was pissed, but it was her fault. So when the younger sister started talking about college, they at least didn't flat out discourage it.

But yeah, Guidance Counselor's in that era were not the best at encouraging all the kids.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Oh hell yeah. Spanked at school, spanked when I got home. Downside of living in a small town. Mom knew within minutes I had been spanked at school.
I keep seeing these videos of students abusing teachers and it's flat out disgusting, such a low paying and hard job as it is and then they have to take that sort of shit on top of it. These people are the real heroes IMO.

Also in the same age group as you and when I went to school every classroom had a swat on the wall and if you messed around they wouldn't hesitate to use it on you, some would even do it in front of the class to make an example out of you, even your parents would be on their side. My dad (RIP he was all heart) "well, you probably shouldn't have been fucking around then". Times have sure changed.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I keep seeing these videos of students abusing teachers and it's flat out disgusting, such a low paying and hard job as it is and then they have to take that sort of shit on top of it. These people are the real heroes IMO.

Also in the same age group as you and when I went to school every classroom had a swat on the wall and if you messed around they wouldn't hesitate to use it on you, some would even do it in front of the class to make an example out of you, even your parents would be on their side. My dad (RIP he was all heart) "well, you probably shouldn't have been fucking around then". Times have sure changed.

Yep. In junior high I had a social studies teacher who had a paddle hung on the wall behind his desk. Stenciled on the paddle were the words "The Board of Education."

If you were caught goofing around in class you'd get one warning. After that it was stand in front of the class, grab your ankles, and take your consequences.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Florida is a new refuge for conservatives. What flies there may or may not fly nationwide. DeSantis is popular and more acceptable to someone like Trump, and he has no real personal baggage afaik. But his embrace of culture wars could hurt him in a nationwide general.

He’d probably actually be more popular if he dropped that act and better picked and chose his culture war battles. Drop the LGBTQ, immigrant and anti-black garbage and focus on your “freedom” stuff, stop breaking state and federal law while trying to prove you are “tough”. But it’s worked for him very well in Florida so I don’t see him toning it down anytime soon. He was widely accepted and re-elected in a very decisive victory.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Florida is a new refuge for conservatives. What flies there may or may not fly nationwide. DeSantis is popular and more acceptable to someone like Trump, and he has no real personal baggage afaik. But his embrace of culture wars could hurt him in a nationwide general.

He’d probably actually be more popular if he dropped that act and better picked and chose his culture war battles. Drop the LGBTQ, immigrant and anti-black garbage and focus on your “freedom” stuff, stop breaking state and federal law while trying to prove you are “tough”. But it’s worked for him very well in Florida so I don’t see him toning it down anytime soon. He was widely accepted and re-elected in a very decisive victory.

The Republicans aren't going to learn anything until USA youngsters reach 18 and teach them how to f'g count votes from people who had to switch to using the internet to find what they wanted to read about, learn about or just discuss, after the states like Florida said don't read this, don't say that, don't make waves in front of the 90% of American elected sheriffs who are white males...

Remember that old Honeymooners show where Jackie Gleason is shaking his fist and yelling "One of these days, Alice, one of these days... pow, you're going to the moon!" But see it's gonna be the youngsters saying to the Rs "so how 'bout today, geezer?"

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Unfortunately teacher abuse by students, parents, administration, and government all works towards the right’s agenda to privatize all education. It makes it so nobody wants the job. So in swoops a fascist education savior who will have their teacher’s back and will pay them better as long as they teach unquestioning ultra whitewashed patriotism.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Exactly. And it's not just Florida. Get ready for the national Marjorie Taylor Greene Teachers Academy.
My impression is that either it’s a situation of wanting our cake and eating it too, possibly compounded by the we don‘t want to pay for public education crowd, but that would have to be a small minority. My guess is that the vast majority wants competent public education.

The only beef I had with public education was in Minnesota where tax proposals were made to raise the cost, where they would threaten, your kids will have to walk to school if this does not pass, while at the same time, not willing to lay out the detailed proposal of what was being funded like adult education classes, and teacher salaries.

The real issue here Imo is that home/property owners should not be the only ones funding public education. There definitely should be a tax associated with how much stress your family puts on the school system whether you have no kids in school or several/many kids in school.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
He’s like a more competently sinister Trump which makes him much worse.

He may be more competent at knowing how to wiggle around the law, but I don’t think he’s more competent at winning voters who aren’t of the lunatic fringe variety which seems to be the only people he’s courting. Of course that is also where Trump is now but that’s not where he started. Now its just a race between the 2 on who can lose the most demographics but DeSantis has the dis/advantage of actually putting things into action in Florida to give a sneak preview. Also pretty much all pundits of both sides agree Trump would wipe the floor with DeSantis on the debate stage.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
He may be more competent at knowing how to wiggle around the law, but I don’t think he’s more competent at winning voters who aren’t of the lunatic fringe variety which seems to be the only people he’s courting. Of course that is also where Trump is now but that’s not where he started. Now its just a race between the 2 on who can lose the most demographics but DeSantis has the dis/advantage of actually putting things into action in Florida to give a sneak preview. Also pretty much all pundits of both sides agree Trump would wipe the floor with DeSantis on the debate stage.
You can ask yourself just how in the hell can such bafoons get elected, and the answer might scare you. For that matter ask yourself how the GOP as it exists today can still be relevant with the magnitude of representation it has today? TERRIFYING. :oops:

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
My impression is that either it’s a situation of wanting our cake and eating it too, possibly compounded by the we don‘t want to pay for public education crowd, but that would have to be a small minority. My guess is that the vast majority wants competent public education.

The only beef I had with public education was in Minnesota where tax proposals were made to raise the cost, where they would threaten, your kids will have to walk to school if this does not pass, while at the same time, not willing to lay out the detailed proposal of what was being funded like adult education classes, and teacher salaries.

The real issue here Imo is that home/property owners should not be the only ones funding public education. There definitely should be a tax associated with how much stress your family puts on the school system whether you have no kids in school or several/many kids in school.
I am not for the proportional use tax to fund school systems. There are a ton of public services, that I don't use or use with very little frequency. Libraries, Public Museums, Fire/Police Services, Immigration, etc. I think that is just a matter of the cost of what we determined our society to be.

I am for paying teachers a fair salary and making the standards of a teacher to be higher. I am also for giving students the ability to go to at least a 2 year community college or trade school for free. Currently the costs of those programs are very low anyway, so we are not talking about $80,000/year. If smaller countries like Finland, which is consistently ranked in the top 10 school systems in the world, why can't America do it as well?

Top Bottom
1 2