Texas

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
"We don't want to be on the national grid because rolling blackouts in California, We're perfectly capable of screwing our own people without outside influence. Everything, including fuck ups, is bigger in Texas."

There are currently several neighborhoods in the area that are experiencing blackouts and some Trump supporters are like "well, I am fine. It's not an issue" lol

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Seems to me that with Texas' problems with a flaky grid and in general increased demand on the grid in other areas around the US, that adding in a bunch of electric vehicles to this is only going to at some point cause more issues and there will be more incidents of blackouts and brownouts, whatever, around the country?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Heard about this from somebody who lives in GA but feel it's safe to assume it also happens in TX. Rolling coal. This refers to a modification made to a vehicle (most commonly some poor man's iteration of a monster truck) where you press a button and a black plume of smoke comes out of the muffler. This is sticking it to libs (and the planet) at its finest.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Seems to me that with Texas' problems with a flaky grid and in general increased demand on the grid in other areas around the US, that adding in a bunch of electric vehicles to this is only going to at some point cause more issues and there will be more incidents of blackouts and brownouts, whatever, around the country?
Actually, they curtail wind turbines during the evening hours when they generate unnecessary excess capacity. (It’s much faster and easier to stop/start a wind turbine than to shut down and restart a coal plant.) Most EVs are charged during those off-peak times. So if they need the capacity, they already have it.

What we cannot afford are more carbon emissions (like those from cars) making the planet hotter. THAT is what’s taxing the grid now. Trying to keep cool enough to stay alive in this environment created by such emissions.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
This probably does not deserve a thread, so, since Oklahoma is a suburb of Tejas, and they both share the Canadian River with NM and AR, I will put this bit of breathtaking weirdness here:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
in Texas if you think a robber is getting away you can pull out your gun and start shooting and if you hit a child and kill her? no big deal. I mean he was not even charged with much in the first place.

Arlene Alvarez killed: Harris Co. grand jury declines to indict robbery victim who shot 9-year-old​

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
in Texas if you think a robber is getting away you can pull out your gun and start shooting and if you hit a child and kill her? no big deal. I mean he was not even charged with much in the first place.

Arlene Alvarez killed: Harris Co. grand jury declines to indict robbery victim who shot 9-year-old​

What a dump of a state. Not even going to let this go to trial? I guess if you were robbed, you now have carte blanche to fire your weapon at anybody you think might have been responsible. If innocent people die? Oh well. Hasn’t Texas seceded yet? They keep threatening to, but they never follow through...

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
What a dump of a state. Not even going to let this go to trial? I guess if you were robbed, you now have carte blanche to fire your weapon at anybody you think might have been responsible. If innocent people die? Oh well. Hasn’t Texas seceded yet? They keep threatening to, but they never follow through...
Agreed, isn't this sort of negligence why we have manslaughter laws on the books?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I heard TX has an extremely low (high?) bar to qualify for medicaid. If you make more than $200 a month you're out. I can't really see how that's going to be a motivator to go out and take any job. Seems really counter productive to getting people off the government tit.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I heard TX has an extremely low (high?) bar to qualify for medicaid. If you make more than $200 a month you're out. I can't really see how that's going to be a motivator to go out and take any job. Seems really counter productive to getting people off the government tit.
Texas is run by racist jerks. The Medicaid thing is because they wanted to stick it to Obama. They don’t care how many residents suffer for that stupid obsession.

Here’s another blatantly disgusting thing the state does.

Threats said she applied to live in more than 100 houses and apartments, but none would accept her. Texas is one of the few states that allows landlords to reject renters if they receive housing vouchers.

In the months after Threats moved in, homeowners began to turn against the neighborhood’s Section 8 renters — who are predominantly Black. In private Facebook groups, they increasingly blamed tenants for a perceived uptick in criminal activity in Providence Village.

The wave of anti-Section 8 sentiment peaked in June, when the Providence Homeowners Association’s board passed a rule effectively banning Section 8 renters from living in the neighborhood — a move that will displace more than 150 families from the majority-white enclave.

Black families make up 93% of the 157 households with Section 8 vouchers living in Providence Village, according to the Dallas and Denton housing authorities. Women head all but five of those households.

Section 8 tenants have to leave Providence when their current leases end, according to the new rule. The homeowners association and the town are legally separate entities but share much of the same territory. That means within a year, an entire Texas town will mostly be off limits to voucher holders.

Seriously, f Texas law and f the people in these neighborhoods who are glad to kick their neighbors out of their houses and into homelessness because they only want rich white people living near them.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Texas is run by racist jerks. The Medicaid thing is because they wanted to stick it to Obama. They don’t care how many residents suffer for that stupid obsession.

Here’s another blatantly disgusting thing the state does.

Seriously, f Texas law and f the people in these neighborhoods who are glad to kick their neighbors out of their houses and into homelessness because they only want rich white people living near them.

In CA they only want rich people too. We just don't care what race they are. At some income level everybody is green. Progress!

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone have 149 on their bingo chart as the highest temperature reading found in a Texas prison?

Temperatures inside Texas prison units regularly reach 110 degrees, new report says​

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone have 149 on their bingo chart as the highest temperature reading found in a Texas prison?

Temperatures inside Texas prison units regularly reach 110 degrees, new report says​

Ya know, when I read articles about the horrible conditions in prisons I have to roll my eyes. These people did something wrong and are being punished. Why is it more important for criminals to have comfort than children in schools that have no working heat or a/c to begin with? Most educators would gladly trade their school buildings for a prison.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ya know, when I read articles about the horrible conditions in prisons I have to roll my eyes. These people did something wrong and are being punished. Why is it more important for criminals to have comfort than children in schools that have no working heat or a/c to begin with? Most educators would gladly trade their school buildings for a prison.

I wouldn’t call it more important, but it is possible to care about multiple things at once. I am not in support of allowing prison conditions that kill inmates.

When so many folks are in prison for non-violent offenses that they form the majority, and wrongful convictions can lead innocent people to spend a decade or more behind bars, I’m even less inclined to the idea that prisons are somehow different when it comes to creating humane conditions.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn’t call it more important, but it is possible to care about multiple things at once. I am not in support of allowing prison conditions that kill inmates.

When so many folks are in prison for non-violent offenses that they form the majority, and wrongful convictions can lead innocent people to spend a decade or more behind bars, I’m even less inclined to the idea that prisons are somehow different when it comes to creating humane conditions.

I’m not saying other countries do it better, there are some, but in the US there’s heavy emphasis on punishment and almost zero on rehabilitation. Every criminal of every level should experience equally harsh conditions is the mindset. Then we think people return to prison simply because they are habitual criminals, not because the prison system and society has set them up to be little more than that once they're released. Add to that probation requirements that could land you right back in jail for things that aren't anywhere near a crime for those of us outside the system.

Think of all the stupid shit we do in our late teens and early 20’s and then learn through maturing and experience that, that was some really stupid shit. Now imagine going through that same growth process in prison. I’d wager it’s a far different outcome than those who didn’t spend those years in that environment.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Because punishment should include cruel and unusual punishment. Because everyone found guilty is always guilty without fail. Because we should never uphold humanity for others despite their failings.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Hard to believe this happened in Texas. where were their guns?​

Family of four, all wielding knives, stab each other in wild fight, Texas cops say​

One of them did have a gun but was disarmed.

Despite the knife violence, everybody survived… which wouldn’t have been the case if 4 people were firing guns.

Top Bottom
1 2