The 2020 Republican National Convention thread

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It was Kimberly Guilfoyle, channeling her inner Dr. Rockso. You would think that having been married to the governor of California would make her unpopular with the RNC, but apparently not.

I'm kind of surprised no one else caught this one. Perhaps too old of a reference?

920x920.jpg

View attachment 195
She was off her rocker and has captured the theme of the GOP Convention perfectly, anger and hate. Did Newsom really date her? I love him as my Governor but that just took him down a notch in my book.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
She was off her rocker and has captured the theme of the GOP Convention perfectly, anger and hate. Did Newsom really date her? I love him as my Governor but that just took him down a notch in my book.
Yeah, I’d heard that years ago and it made little sense to me.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

Date is a slight understatement. Supposedly the divorce was mutually filed, as they worked on opposite coasts.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Confession: I have not watched a second of the RNC. My stomach is too weak.

I remember when I went to grad school and was waiting for a required meeting about student grants and loans, and a Chinese student came up to me. We spoke for a long while about the area, and she asked me what name I liked better, and proceeded to show me two English names she was going to pick because she believed her name was unpronounceable for westerners, and that people might mistreat her.

When we lived in Taiwan, we had a lady come work for us as our "ama." She cooked, cleaned, everything. We'd have been lost without her. The first day, my mother asked "Mary" what her real name was. She giggled and said it was too hard. With gentle promoting she finally told us it was Shuhwa. And that's all we ever called her from that day.

Cancel culture, my ass.

Pence should eat a big back o' dicks. Like a sailor's bag of fresh dicks.

Why suggest he do something he'd really enjoy? (Or of Mother's sight, of course.)

U

User.45

^^^ Wow. "Having the conversation" ? .... on f^cking YouTube?

This is not how ya do it. Unforgivable.

It's cheap. Conservatives eat up stuff like this like it's candy. So I guess all it takes to become a famous "conservative" ""personality"" is to talk outrageous shit that "nobody dares talking about".

U

User.45

When we lived in Taiwan, we had a lady come work for us as our "ama." She cooked, cleaned, everything. We'd have been lost without her. The first day, my mother asked "Mary" what her real name was. She giggled and said it was too hard. With gentle promoting she finally told us it was Shuhwa. And that's all we ever called her from that day.

Cancel culture, my ass.

I'd say I have an "African" name and a "Christian" name (yep I'm a poster child of globalism). My parents called me on my African name, but when I turned 10 I felt that A) My Christian name was more masculine B) It made it much easier to make friends without having to start with explaining cultural backstories.

It was a scientifically proven pragmatic decision by my 10-year-old self.

Asian Americans make this compromise day-by-day and I adore them for it. I gave European first names to my daughters, but still have African middle names. They will chose which one to use when they are old enough.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

It‘s almost like Joe is the president and causing many problems and Trump is running against him as an underdog. There’s no platform except the cities are hellholes and they are coming for the suburbs.

I’d like to know if it was an easy decision for Rand Paul to voice support for Trump. Was he conflicted? That guy is weird.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Pence should eat a big back o' dicks. Like a sailor's bag of fresh dicks.

I know LCK did some shitty stuff, but in the spirit of, "The art, not the artist ..." I will say that bit he did is still one of the funniest things ever.

"Hey, suck a bag of dicks!"

"Really? A whole bag?"

U

User.45

It‘s almost like Joe is the president and causing many problems and Trump is running against him as an underdog. There’s no platform except the cities are hellholes and they are coming for the suburbs.

I’d like to know if it was an easy decision for Rand Paul to voice support for Trump. Was he conflicted? That guy is weird.

You don't need a new program if you haven't fulfilled your original campaign promises.
1598538424793.png

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd say I have an "African" name and a "Christian" name (yep I'm a poster child of globalism). My parents called me on my African name, but when I turned 10 I felt that A) My Christian name was more masculine B) It made it much easier to make friends without having to start with explaining cultural backstories.

It was a scientifically proven pragmatic decision by my 10-year-old self.

Asian Americans make this compromise day-by-day and I adore them for it. I gave European first names to my daughters, but still have African middle names. They will chose which one to use when they are old enough.

You and @Scepticalscribe both need to write biographies.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
I remember when I went to grad school and was waiting for a required meeting about student grants and loans, and a Chinese student came up to me. We spoke for a long while about the area, and she asked me what name I liked better, and proceeded to show me two English names she was going to pick because she believed her name was unpronounceable for westerners, and that people might mistreat her.
And, even if I'm wrong about Nikki Haley, it's clear there are lots of people of Asian decent who pick western names to assimilate, or choose nicknames to hide their culture. And, my reporters all face an incredible amount of racism on a daily basis.

Well, I live in both worlds.
When I grew up in Italy, I lived near Milan's Chinatown (Via Paolo Sarpi, basically). I had a good 20 to 25% of classmates that were Asian, many of them I am still in contact with somehow (Facebook, Chats, etc.). With the exception of one, all of them had given themselves Italian names: Sabrina, Paolo, Marco, Francesco etc. None of their real names were Italian of course. As far as I remember, many of their parents called them by their Italian name. What I remember is that it was very easy to mispronounce their Chinese name and they actually loved their Italian name. I only had one African classmate, he chose the name Matteo for himself. It's a very common thing for immigrants, and it's usually not because they are ashamed of their heritage, but mostly a practical thing to do and for some even fun.

Personally, I use my Italian name in 99% of the cases (it's not totally unpronounceable but by God, what I hear sometimes makes me want to die), but I must admit that sometimes I use an americanized version of it whenever I feel the other person can't truly understand my name. My name also makes for very interesting spellings at Starbucks (when I am not in the mood, I order using my Americanized name). Sadly, my middle name is even worse.

My firstborn has an Italian name, he was born in Italy and we had no idea that we were moving to the US back then. For him, it's a true nightmare. No matter how much some try, the mispronunciation and misspelling is overwhelming to the point he can't recognize when he's called upon. So he's known by everyone with his Americanized name (which was also his nickname).

My second son has an American name, he was born in the US. Funny thing, he has no problem here but when he goes to Italy they mispronounce his name and sometimes he is called by a nickname.

In other words, I am in the situation in which no matter where my family goes, we will be called upon correctly! I won't even get into my wife's last name which is barely pronounceable in what sounds as an uncoordinated mess with syllables, with no possibility of getting it spelled right. Her students will never be able to pronounce it right, so she chose to go with just the initial of her name (for example Mrs. X).

As far as I know, many of my current Asian friends here with names from other countries choose an Americanized name for the same reason, and it's never because they are ashamed of their heritage; heck, some even wear their traditional clothes. I think - can't prove it, but it's my opinion - that in those cases in which the individual thinks that it's necessary to change his/her name because of some shame on their heritage, the problem is more about shyness or misconceptions about the environment they live in.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@yaxomoxay So you were born in Italy, came to the US, did the N-400 (or whatever P&P), and been here since. Well, that's interesting, was the relocation work related?

Side note: I can fuck off anytime if this gets too nosy ...

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
@yaxomoxay So you were born in Italy, came to the US, did the N-400 (or whatever P&P), and been here since. Well, that's interesting, was the relocation work related?

Side note: I can fuck off anytime if this gets too nosy ...

Yes to all of the above (and of course, went through the painful green card process).

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Same as it always was, SAME AS IT ALWAYS WAS, the Washington Post lists 20 whoppers from the third night of Stump the Dummies. The first 7 Listed below. It turns out that Pence is just as much of a world class liar as Rump. Link maybe behind a paywall.

Fact-checking the third night of the 2020 Republican National Convention

• “Before the first case of coronavirus spread within the United States, President Trump took the unprecedented step of suspending all travel from China. That action saved an untold number of American lives.” — Vice President Pence. Pence greatly overstates the impact of Trump’s action, which did not halt all travel from China and was not much different from what other countries did.
  • “Where this president achieved energy independence for the United States, Joe Bidenwould abolish fossil fuels and fracking.”
    — Pence
    All of this is false — and we fact-check these lines so often from Trump, it seems like speechwriting malpractice or an intentional effort to deceive for Pence to include them in a prime-time speech.
  • “When asked whether he’d [Biden] support cutting funding to law enforcement, Joe Biden replied, ‘Yes, absolutely.’”
    — Pence
    The Trump campaign is determined to spread the fiction that Biden supports “defunding police.” But that is simply false, according to Biden, his campaign and a review of his remarks. Pence is misquoting Biden, just as President Trump’s millions of dollars of campaign ads on the issue (which have earned Four Pinocchios) misquote him.
  • “Dave Patrick Underwood was an officer of the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Protective Service, who was shot and killed during the riots in Oakland, California.”
    — Pence
    Pence uttered this line while referring to “violence and chaos in the streets of our major cities,” so many viewers might have assumed Underwood was killed by left-wing activists. But federal prosecutors have alleged Underwood was killed by Air Force Staff Sgt. Steven Carrillo, 32, an adherent of the “boogaloo boys,” a growing online extremist movement that has sought to use peaceful protests against police brutality to spread fringe views and ignite a race war. Carrillo has been charged with murder and attempted murder.
  • “Last week, Joe Biden didn’t say one word about the violence and chaos engulfing cities across this country. So let me be clear: The violence must stop.”
    — Pence
    Hours before Pence’s speech, Biden posted a video on Twitter condemning the violence in Wisconsin, where protests began after the police shooting of Jacob Blake. Blake, who is Black, was shot seven times in the back as he entered his car on Sunday, and was paralyzed.
  • “And after years of scandal that robbed our veterans of the care that you earned in the uniform of the United States, President Trump kept his word again. We reformed the VA and veterans choice is now available for every veteran in America.”
    — Pence
    In two sentences, Pence overstates the impact of the Trump administration’s efforts to help veterans twice.
    The VA Choice bill — known as the MISSION Act — was mostly an update of a law passed in 2014 during Barack Obama’s presidency. Plus, it’s not yet clear that veterans are facing shorter wait times to see doctors. The MISSION Act only took effect in 2019
  • “Four years ago, we inherited a military hollowed out by devastating budget cuts, an economy struggling to break out of the slowest recovery since the Great Depression. … We rebuilt our military.”
    — Pence
    Trump often falsely claims he’s “totally rebuilt” the U.S. military. Pence is echoing that claim in so many words. The military budget had declined in the years before Trump took office as a result of decreases in funding for Overseas Contingency Operations, as both the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan came to a close, not because the military was “hollowed out.”

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yes to all of the above (and of course, went through the painful green card process).

Hahaha, all the above includes fucking off because I'm being nosy ... I actually LOL'ed.

Anyway, that's neat, I already knew you were Italian, just wasn't sure of when you moved, etc. For some reason I thought you actually moved back for an extended period? Maybe it was just a visit, or I'm simply jumbling up the info ...

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Hahaha, all the above includes fucking off because I'm being nosy ... I actually LOL'ed.

hahahah :)

Anyway, that's neat, I already knew you were Italian, just wasn't sure of when you moved, etc. For some reason I thought you actually moved back for an extended period? Maybe it was just a visit, or I'm simply jumbling up the info ...

Grew up and raised in Italy, moved here 20-ish years ago.

Top Bottom
1 2