The Election Day Thread

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Anyone else sick to their stomach with nerves?
I am feeling upbeat but the memory of 2016 makes me a bit uneasy. I remember in my neighborhood in 2008, people spontaneously took to the streets to celebrate when Obama won... if Biden wins, I feel it will be a bit more muted - a sigh of relief.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Anyone else sick to their stomach with nerve?

Hell no. I'm consuming special treats today like the pig I figured I'd be emulating.

Right now though I'm trying to recall if I've ever heard any other American president talk like this. Think I can say with high confidence that the answer to that is a resounding "No"

Not even Richard Nixon in the depths of a pending impeachment was this harsh about the country that had elected him. And if we look at approval polls, at least 40% of the USA apparently still now or recently thinks Trump has been doing a pretty good job. To hear Trump talk on the eve of probably losing re-election though, you'd think his approval rating was in single digits and that Democrats had written all the legislation and appointed all his advisors and constrained his SCOTUS pick list... poor Donny.

U

User.45

I don’t think it will be close. I think the massive turnout is almost all for Biden. Trump never expanded beyond his hard-core base. Texas will go for Biden!
I think you guys know by now how much I love to look under the hood let it be stats or those white pointy ones.

The only pollster that gave this election to Trump is Trafalgar. I think they systematically have young voters underrepresented in their sampling. So all it takes is more youngsters to to vote to invalidate their data.

I also think that this became a matter of life or death for pollsters, and they are likely to have overcorrected their data.

U

User.45

From what I saw on the news, it looks like Trump has a healthy lead on Biden.
AFAIK, mail in ballots are not counted until polling places close. So this is expected.

I'd also say Biden is up in SC and Ohio. So these early numbers are meaningless.

U

User.45

Bring it!

IMG_0288.jpeg

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
A followup to the USPS
Federal judge allows additional time after USPS turns down court order deadline to sweep facilities for undelivered mail-in ballots
The US Postal Service failed to meet a deadline set on Tuesday by US District Judge Emmet Sullivan to sweep facilities in several states for undelivered ballots and immediately send them to election officials, according to reporters. “There are only one or two Inspectors in any one facility, and thus they do not have the ability to personally scour the entire facility,” USPS said. Judge Sullivan later ordered USPS to “be prepared to discuss the apparent lack of compliance with the court’s order” at a noon hearing on Wednesday. However, Sullivan allowed the US Postal Service more time to sweep for possible missing ballots in mail processing centers in states including Pennsylvania, Colorado, Michigan and others.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Well I hope Mitch will end up having to ask his caucus if he can be their minority leader...
tenor.gif

Still, McConnell could lose in another way: With other Senate races across the country, it’s possible — even likely, based on the FiveThirtyEight forecast — that Democrats could win control of the Senate. That would effectively demote McConnell from majority leader to minority leader. That’s not a role McConnell is unfamiliar with, given that he was minority leader from 2007 to 2015, but it’s a role that gives McConnell much less power.

McConnell did a lot with the power of the minority during President Barack Obama’s time in office, leveraging the filibuster — which effectively requires a supermajority of 60 out of 100 senators to get major legislation done — to block much of Obama’s and Democrats’ agenda. This time, it might be different: Democrats have talked about repealing the filibuster if they take the Senate. That would greatly diminish any hold that McConnell and his caucus have over the body as the minority.

lizkat

Reaction score
AFAIK, mail in ballots are not counted until polling places close. So this is expected.

I'd also say Biden is up in SC and Ohio. So these early numbers are meaningless.

Reminder: each state has different rules on when absentee / mail ballots can be counted. For instance, Florida opens them upon receipt and has been counting them for weeks already. New York opens them to check they were expected (versus records of having sent them out) but the inner envelope with the ballots are not opened until after in person voting finishes and registry books are sent back to the boards of elections.

Top Bottom
1 2