Weather

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yes! You can tell it's been non stop raining because yards look a mess lol

Guy finally mowed yesterday in between raindrops... lawns temporarily look like a golf course.

But the forecast this morning was laughably enough the quintessence of this summer in the Catskills:

"Drizzle stopping in 7 min, starting again 6 min later"​
I like the cooler weather so I'm not gonna complain unless moss starts competing with the grasses.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Guy finally mowed yesterday in between raindrops... lawns temporarily look like a golf course.
My neighbor is mowing now. If he moves a little faster he might be able to finish before the skies open up again. It’s monsoon season here, so it rains daily, sometimes twice. I’ve turned off all the flash flood warnings.

D

Deleted member 199

After a couple of weeks of quite hot weather without rain, we're back to regularly scheduled wet season, so, similar to @Alli, daily rain - often multiple times, and ~32ºC (~90ºF) most days.. We've had a few days of it now, I haven't thought to check the swamp out the front yet, but I assume it's going back up again. It hadn't completely dried up but the water receded quite a lot while it was hot & dry..

lizkat

Reaction score
During Hurricane Harvey people were kayaking on my street. Water made it halfway up my yard.

In the 2006 summer floods in the western Catskills (where a culvert under interstate-88 even washed out in the middle of the night and killed a couple of over the road truckers), there were floods of a number of rivers that feed the Delaware and Susquehanna river systems... and so a whole lot of villages here in the headwaters of those systems were good places to see kayaks and canoes traversing the main drags for a couple days. My SIL paddled a kayak through one of those and saw a bunch of unusual things, including a rabbit and a cat sitting next to each other on some front porch, just sort of looking out at all that water! A lot of town roads and town level bridges washed out and some of them to this day have not been replaced. Here's a piece about that 2006 flood with photo of the I-99 washout, it was horrendous.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
In the 2006 summer floods in the western Catskills (where a culvert under interstate-88 even washed out in the middle of the night and killed a couple of over the road truckers), there were floods of a number of rivers that feed the Delaware and Susquehanna river systems... and so a whole lot of villages here in the headwaters of those systems were good places to see kayaks and canoes traversing the main drags for a couple days. My SIL paddled a kayak through one of those and saw a bunch of unusual things, including a rabbit and a cat sitting next to each other on some front porch, just sort of looking out at all that water! A lot of town roads and town level bridges washed out and some of them to this day have not been replaced. Here's a piece about that 2006 flood with photo of the I-99 washout, it was horrendous.

That washed out interstate looks crazy :eek:

lizkat

Reaction score
That washed out interstate looks crazy :eek:

Yah it was a 30-foot culvert... the washout was 50 feet deep and took out 150 feet of the roadway. The dead truckers may never have known what happened when they ran their rigs into it. Horrendous.

There were some other awful washouts in the area, a couple miles of a county road got taken out by a stream that in normal times is about 15 feet across and maybe six inches deep, turned into a roaring monster on its way to join up with a feeder to the West Branch of the Delaware Fiver... also damaged were a lot of town grade roads that dipped down near creeks that came way out of banks, some of them ended up looking like they had some puddling going on but they were actually washed out 20, 30 feet deep.

It's why they tell you "don't drown, turn around"...

Meanwhile my luck I had bought a new-to-me car earlier that week and was supposed to go pick it up.., the roads to get there were closed after the flood, and even the usual roundabout ways were inaccessible, had to wait a week and even after that ended up taking some back roads one of my brothers showed me, driving me over there in his van, some of those roads weren't even on maps but they were up in the higher hills so we avoided some of the flood-damaged town roads that were washed out for weeks and weeks.

All I could think as we headed back (at that point I was following his van in my new vehicle) was "Don't let him out of your sight" because I had no clue where the heck I was half the time. Some of those roads were sawmill lanes connecting to farm roads up above town roads that he knew from driving flatbeds of lumber when he wasn't carpentering. The other hassle for that timeframe for everyone was figuring out where the heck you could buy gas before you ran out trying to get to your usual choices. Man the stuff we take for granted, eh?

lizkat

Reaction score
We have flash flood warnings and watches now in 14 NY and PA counties. What we need instead of a Space Force is actually a tanker brigade to export this stuff from overwatered jurisdictions to places like CA where they need the rain.

what we need is a tanker brigade to export this stuff.jpg

Meanwhile my favorite numbers are 30% and 40%... the fairly low chances of yet more rain falling really soon on my place. With luck I won't be minding a sponge pumping operation in the cellar by Wednesday or so. It takes awhile for all the water we've had fall out of the sky to make it down the ridge behind me and help overfill the water table here, about halfway down a hill to nearest creek. But everything ever had water in it here is now at or just above minor flood stage, so the rest of the week could prove interesting, We aim to refill the Atlantic Ocean by Friday, apparently... "it's all downhill from here". :p

D

Deleted member 199

What we need instead of a Space Force is actually a tanker brigade to export this stuff from overwatered jurisdictions to places like CA where they need the rain.

Apparently building a pipeline to send oil across the country is a workable solution. Sending excess water from catchment areas to drought areas, not so much.

U

User.191

Apparently building a pipeline to send oil across the country is a workable solution. Sending excess water from catchment areas to drought areas, not so much.
Might help if Nestlé\Brue Triton quit stealing all the water to sell at a huge profit.

U

User.191

You know, it's been a fairly mild summer this year.
It's been warm, but very wet here. I remember when I first came over remarking how brown the grass used to get. The last few summers have been quite the opposite.

And, TBH, and speaking for myself, I'd prefer it this way (flooding aside) - because we can see what the inverse is doing to the left coast etc.

lizkat

Reaction score
You know, it's been a fairly mild summer this year.

The occasional torrential downpour aside, I am loving this summer. It's on the cool side except for just a couple multi-day heatwaves. But right around here we haven't had many hailstorms. Some places in upstate NY have got hammered by large hail a few times. Horrible for car dealers and anyone w/o a garage. Unusual t-storms that whip in somewhere and then stall out and dump inches of hail. One of those closed an interstate stretch for a few hours. Unbelievable.

Top Bottom
1 2