Weather

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
The occasional torrential downpour aside, I am loving this summer. It's on the cool side except for just a couple multi-day heatwaves. But right around here we haven't had many hailstorms. Some places in upstate NY have got hammered by large hail a few times. Horrible for car dealers and anyone w/o a garage. Unusual t-storms that whip in somewhere and then stall out and dump inches of hail. One of those closed an interstate stretch for a few hours. Unbelievable.

It's barely even stormed here. We've had a couple of heavy rains, but other than that, things have been fairly uneventful.

A summer where it doesn't even break into the 90's. Who would've thunk?

U

User.191

It must be a day ending with the letters D, A and Y - more storms and rain. In all my years of living here I can't remember a Spring and Summer so bloody wet.

On the plus side, the 'lawn' and other forms of ground vegetation is looking amazing lush and happy and I've yet to even think about going out with the hosepipe to water everything. Last year it was one of my Covid tasks - the daily water. This year...

Renzatic

Reaction score
On the plus side, the 'lawn' and other forms of ground vegetation is looking amazing lush and happy and I've yet to even think about going out with the hosepipe to water everything. Last year it was one of my Covid tasks - the daily water. This year...

It took me nearly 5 hours to mow mine and the neighbor's lawn yesterday. No one's been able to mow because it keeps raining, and it's all gone to seed, leaving me with all these weeds that take about 15 passes to cut.

Got a nice sunburn from it too.

D

Deleted member 199

Oh and it’s raining again here too. Had… one day without rain this week I think (yesterday)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It must be a day ending with the letters D, A and Y - more storms and rain. In all my years of living here I can't remember a Spring and Summer so bloody wet.

Yeah earlier today I was watching torrents of rain pour off the deck roof and remembering back to when breaks in a drought in summer of 87 or so were greeted with joy and the quick shoving of four galvanized ashcans under the deck eaves to collect rainwater for veggie gardens... and watching them fill up in a matter of minutes.

Now though it's alarming to see those rainfalls occur so often, at least in July, supposedly our driest month. I'll be pumping my cellar out after some storm by next week unless the pace slows down a little. Or as a kid down the road said, we're gonna have moss growing on the ferns! I already have moss growing on the stones under a downspout off the kitchen roof. More usually this time of year that's a nice dry place where grass a snake or two may like to hang out after sunset for awhile because it's still warm there. This year those guys are up atop the rocks alongside a raised flowerbed instead. It's the only set of rocks here that are pretty much guaranteed to dry out in half an hour after a storm.

D

Deleted member 199

Yeah earlier today I was watching torrents of rain pour off the deck roof and remembering back to when breaks in a drought in summer of 87 or so were greeted with joy and the quick shoving of four galvanized ashcans under the deck eaves to collect rainwater for veggie gardens... and watching them fill up in a matter of minutes.

Now though it's alarming to see those rainfalls occur so often, at least in July, supposedly our driest month. I'll be pumping my cellar out after some storm by next week unless the pace slows down a little. Or as a kid down the road said, we're gonna have moss growing on the ferns! I already have moss growing on the stones under a downspout off the kitchen roof. More usually this time of year that's a nice dry place where grass a snake or two may like to hang out after sunset for awhile because it's still warm there. This year those guys are up atop the rocks alongside a raised flowerbed instead. It's the only set of rocks here that are pretty much guaranteed to dry out in half an hour after a storm.
Its crazy to me that more places don’t encourage people to have rain water tanks at home. It’s practically unheard of here. If we were staying, we’d be putting in 3-4 10KL tanks and taking advantage of the ridiculous amount of water that falls from the sky during the wet season.

If nothing else, we (as a society of people who can observe things) have to be able to accept that predictable weather is a thing of the past.

Renzatic

Reaction score
It's supposed to get up to 98 here by Thursday. I think I'm gonna spend that day doing nothing but sitting in a tub of ice water.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The weather is why we are retiring in Sedona. Wife is always looking at their temps. They will have similar temps to us, but the "Real Feel" is always very close to the actual there, where here it is usually 10-15 higher due to 80% humidity.

Looking forward to not being able to chew the air. Now if you will excuse me, I have a door to plane down a bit so it will quit sticking. :(

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Rain today! Wii! Not he torrential downpour variety but bona fide gentle Swedish rain that goes on for hours without wrecking anything other than the plans of beachgoers, picnickers, and likes.

19°C/66°F now at 6AM while I’m heading to the public pool for my morning swim. Forecast updated to 25°C/77°F this afternoon. Humidity’s going to be a bitch. Well, still much better than yesterday!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Rain today! Wii! Not he torrential downpour variety but bona fide gentle Swedish rain that goes on for hours without wrecking anything other than the plans of beachgoers, picnickers, and likes.

19°C/66°F now at 6AM while I’m heading to the public pool for my morning swim. Forecast updated to 25°C/77°F this afternoon. Humidity’s going to be a bitch. Well, still much better than yesterday!

We are going to have that same humidity, but the forecast is for 89. They never get that part right. I guess it will hit 92-94. Always does.

We haven't had any meaningful rain in 2 weeks. Need some as I am getting tired of watering all the plants. Every year I say I am going to put in some irrigation, but never do.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't feel sorry for any of you! Look at what I have to put up with!

Don’t look for sympathy from me either.

7122D1A4-80AC-4A4F-9B49-3F5413CEA40B.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2