Will Kevin McCarthy become Speaker?

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not happening, he's done. Toast, finished.

He now has plenty of time to get back to what he does best - covering up crimes, grandstanding and performing for an audience of one. He should be relieved, he won't have to start doing any work, passing bills or legislating. I'd hate to think Jordan could pass no legislation in 16 years and then become Speaker. I won't have to.

He will not become Speaker, even though - oddly - he actually is probably the best embodiment of what the republican party has become.
I agree he won't be elected, but it wouldn't surprise me if he keeps trying. You'd think he'd be embarrassed, but he and his ilk know no shame.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to believe Gym has presidential aspirations. And the more animated trump-like character he projects, the better his odds are with republicans who are still in love with trump (who may be forced to accept the hospitality of a Federal prison for some number of years).

Time to nip this clown in the bud rejecting him as a House Speaker.

I don’t think the country is that far gone yet. Trump supporters like the celebrity, pearl clutch that he is a successful businessman, like his asshole honestly, and find him funny and entertaining. Jordon is just a pure asshole and always has been. They already have that with DeSantis and look how that is working out. I’d say they need a Dennis Miller type but most of what he would say would go way over their head and they’d feel accosted by the amount of multi-syllable words he uses.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The republicans operate like a bad workplace that promotes garbage because of weak or fearful management - F**k up and move up.

The Republican civil war has begun.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Jordan went to great lengths with his election denial, to this day he still won't say that Biden won and that's not playing well with many of the moderates. There's a reckoning going on within the party and you have to wonder if it's the beginning of the end for the radicals as more streamlined Republicans aren't having it right now. The irony is it seems these few will be directly responsible for their own undoing.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Jordan went to great lengths with his election denial, to this day he still won't say that Biden won and that's not playing well with many of the moderates. There's a reckoning going on within the party and you have to wonder if it's the beginning of the end for the radicals as more streamlined Republicans aren't having it right now. The irony is it seems these few will be directly responsible for their own undoing.
I hope you're right, but I don't think the true reckoning will come until more Republicans say it's time to give up the stolen election cry, renounce Trump, and say they want to move back to governing the country under conservative principles.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope you're right, but I don't think the true reckoning will come until more Republicans say it's time to give up the stolen election cry, renounce Trump, and say they want to move back to governing the country under conservative principles.

Here’s how Trump supporters would hear that. “Hillary was right. You are deplorable. I dare you to show up to my house, you pussies!”

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Republican civil war and death threats against republicans - from their own base - has begun.

Speaker Gym was a bad idea. It’s a shame nobody has ever said anything bad about Gym before to give them a heads up that elevating him was a bad idea. Who could have predicted this? Hmmm.

This rep voted for Jordan yesterday, but not today. I’m glad that in the 24 hours between votes she suddenly realized Speaker Gym was a bad idea, but… maybe by even giving him a single vote in the first place you were helping in a small way to continue elevating him? That constant capitulation and caving is why these fools think they are running the show - and came damn close to doing so.

IMG_0755.jpeg

IMG_0756.jpeg

IMG_0757.jpeg

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

While I’m happy that there were holdouts and Jordan will not be given the gavel, this is a stupid idea. They’ve wasted a whole two days now to decide if someone who’s literally not gotten any work done in 16 years and is a “firebrand” (known outside the GOP bubble as “stupid asshole”) should be speaker.

Staggering their votes was stupid. Just vote for someone else the first time and be done with it.

Or stay home so we can have Speaker Jeffries.

These are not serious people. They’re whining now that THEIR lives are in danger. I have said this for years, including on this site, but republicans have no empathy for anyone or their situation until it’s them.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
While I’m happy that there were holdouts and Jordan will not be given the gavel, this is a stupid idea. They’ve wasted a whole two days now to decide if someone who’s literally not gotten any work done in 16 years and is a “firebrand” (known outside the GOP bubble as “stupid asshole”)

Staggering their votes was stupid. Just vote for someone else the first time and be done with it.

Or stay home so we can have Speaker Jeffries.
I think the idea is to avoid the McCarthy situation from earlier this year where they keep voting while Jordan whittles the votes down. By making it worse each voting round they're trying to make a stronger signal that he is being rejected more and more rather than slowly gaining ground. I'm not sure if it is worth it, but I get the logic.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Told ya. We need more coverage of this behavior and just as importantly coverage of arrests and prosecutions. Patriots tend to be less patriotic when they see others getting consequences for their patriotism.

They did it to themselves. Maybe now they'll wake up. One of the people threatened literally voted for Jordan the day before.

Edit - He’s doing from the Speaker’s race what his father should have done right before Gym was conceived… Pulling out!

Last edited:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Although changing the rules to allow McHenry to fulfill the role of Speaker would get the House back in business (to the extent it can actually function with the Republicans in the majority), it by no means ends Jordan's bid. McHenry still backs the idiot from Ohio. The Republicans know the ongoing chaos makes them look like fools, so they'll be able to claim they care about legislating while Jordan attempts to get members on his side for a future vote.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/house-speaker-vote-10-19-23/index.html

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Jordan is not going to win. They're not going to vote him down twice, call him a bully, then vote him in as Speaker in January. He's done, he's just enjoying his time in the spotlight and looking to stretch it out.

*Now they're saying that the McHenry deal is dead, and Jordan says he's still going to run... just doesn't know when he'll ask for a vote. Unreal!

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Jordan is not going to win. They're not going to vote him down twice, call him a bully, then vote him in as Speaker in January. He's done, he's just enjoying his time in the spotlight and looking to stretch it out.

*Now they're saying that the McHenry deal is dead, and Jordan says he's still going to run... just doesn't know when he'll ask for a vote. Unreal!

And the clown show goes on. And on and on and on...

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Gaetz - to what little credit he has - remains calm under pressure and is pretty funny. A journalist caught him in the hall, and Gaetz said of McCarthy - "I think he's going through the stages of grief" and carried on as if things were business as usual.

Top Bottom
1 2