Will Smith did *what?*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I was going to post a rant excoriating Smith. But a much better writer than I did a wonderful job; I strongly agree with this piece by Eric Deggans, who also appeared on the PBS News Hour to discuss the shameful violence during the Oscars.

More Black Respectability Police Pablum. 🥱 Chris Rock should have not tainted QuestLove's Oscar moment. Get your ass up there, read the rehearsed cornball joke and let the honorees bask in the spotlight. Stop making it about yourself.

Denzil and Tyler are long time friends of Will. Of course they're going to go to him and comfort and make sure he's alright. Mr. Washington helped usher him into serious film work and has always been a father figure in Will's life. The devil comment was taken the wrong way by the writer. He's probably light-headed sitting on his high horse. Tyler has respect for and taken advice from Will and Jada. That's why he named one of the sound stages at his massive studio complex after Will. So of course he's going to console his friend who felt his wife was attacked due to her medical condition. Who was shedding tears and obviously very emotional.

Will has already apologized. Next.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I've moved on to admiring the only parts of the Oscars I usually admire, which is a few of the dresses.

This one I liked because it reminds me of Spring, a season still struggling to arrive here in the mountains.

best dress 2022 oscars - SPRING !.jpg

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I've moved on to admiring the only parts of the Oscars I usually admire, which is a few of the dresses.

This one I liked because it reminds me of Spring, a season still struggling to arrive here in the mountains.

I particularly liked to screech about the hideous dresses, and more recently, the gay messes that surely must be intentional. I gave up as it appears most celebs make poor choices for their Oscar night attire.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony

Such a pretty, feminine, delightful gown which looks lovely on her!

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
All looked very fake to me. Never seen a bloke slap someone in such a choreographed way to be honest. I wouldn’t mind betting this was planned to boost ratings and exposure. We only ever see highlights here in Europe because it’s shown in the middle of the night anyway.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Word of the day: streeeeetch! A whole ass 31 years ago. When Will was 21/22. And joking as his persona from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. With a good acquaintance/friend -- John B., the great bassist in Arsenio's house band -- who along with tons of other folk on the lot partied and ate with other cast members of FBoBA on a regular basis. Williams also doesn't suffer from Alopecia and often got teased by Arsenio and his guests for blinding them with his shiny head. He was fond of rubbing his own head when the jokes came pouring out.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Word of the day: streeeeetch! A whole ass 31 years ago. When Will was 21/22. And joking as his persona from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. With a good acquaintance/friend -- John B., the great bassist in Arsenio's house band -- who along with tons of other folk on the lot partied and ate with other cast members of FBoBA on a regular basis. Williams also doesn't suffer from Alopecia and often got teased by Arsenio and his guests for blinding them with his shiny head. He was fond of rubbing his own head when the jokes came pouring out.

They’re really trying hard 😆😆😆

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Next year‘s oscar hosts: Will Smith and Chris Rock.
After that, maybe since supposedly it was the second lowest watched Oscars, even though it may have been the most talked about.

Me, I'm hoping they bring back Ricky Gervais. They then add a clause that anyone with enough juevos can take a shot at him with no legal penalty. Make the whole thing like Bloodsport.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Comedians Rally Around Chris Rock, Express Concern About Violence Towards Comics: “Now We All Have To Worry”​

“Stand-up comics are very adept at handling hecklers,” tweeted Mark Hamill last night after Will Smith slapped Chris Rock at the Oscars, “violent physical assault…not so much.”

Hamill’s tweet drew the distinction between speech and action that many have continued to drive home as the comedy community (mostly) rallies around Rock.

Howard Stern said on his SiriusXM show this morning, “You don’t hit people over speech, certainly not at the Academy Awards, and Will Smith’s got to contain himself.”

Reactions to the slap that stunned the Oscars — when Will Smith bounded on stage and struck comedian Chris Rock over a joke about Smith’s wife Jada Pinkett Smith, seem mostly to come down decidedly for, as one comedian puts it, Team Rock.

Celebs react

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Never watched the awards - though I've always been interested to see who wins (shows mostly, not necessarily actors).

While it's a bit after the fact, the response to this has been insane. Learned more about the Smith family than I ever knew before (had no idea his wife had a medical condition or ... her actions in the past). Can say one thing for sure, I don't think I could have responded that well to someone slapping me in the face, for any reason, even if I deserved it lol. Shocked me how someone could get away with assault like that - and be mass applauded right after. lol.

People are interesting.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Never watched the awards - though I've always been interested to see who wins (shows mostly, not necessarily actors).

While it's a bit after the fact, the response to this has been insane. Learned more about the Smith family than I ever knew before (had no idea his wife had a medical condition or ... her actions in the past). Can say one thing for sure, I don't think I could have responded that well to someone slapping me in the face, for any reason, even if I deserved it lol. Shocked me how someone could get away with assault like that - and be mass applauded right after. lol.

People are interesting.
I’ve thought about how Rock handled himself and it dawned on me that he spent years on SNL, live TV. As a stand-up, he’s probably been on over a thousand stages in front of millions of people. He seems uniquely equipped to manage that situation.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
My mom said it looked staged lol

She thought it was part of the show lol

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
My mom said it looked staged lol

She thought it was part of the show lol
I thought it was a staged skit up until he "slapped the shit out of" CR. It was so unexpected. I think his rep is what garnered the standing ovation later. And I think it's lost on many that Chris Rock is hated by lots in Hollywood. He's seen as misogynistic, pals around with the transphobic Chapelle and he has a horrible track record with women lately: a forced paternity test and suit, and allegations of rape that were settled after vowing to fight in court.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
He’s been around nearly 35 years and this is his worst stunt. A big one, and highly disrespectful to many. I can’t condone it, but I do understand him to a degree. Chris Rock handled it like a pro. Looks like they’ll work it out. We as Americans are always drooling over this stuff, just so we can point and criticize. We should be saving that anger for our elected officials who do worse on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2