Will Smith did *what?*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
In this case, "investigation" is really just an internal review of the possible actions, it's not like everything isn't already known.

- Chris Rock made a joke that didn't violate any FCC regulations or any laws
- Will Smith used profanity and physically assaulted someone

That's it.

So sure, the Academy could impose a sanction against Rock because or "poor taste", that's subjective.

Here's an additional take from April Watts, a black woman with some perspective on the hair situation:

View attachment 12738
Thumbs down on every point she vomited out. My circle of friends and family mostly understood why the slap happened. They felt that CR has been a serial abuser of Black people and especially Black women for years. No one (well probably a few) justified his physicality, but understood.

I think it's a poor argument that he's embarrassed by the entanglement discussion that won't die. That was so last year. Even though it popped up during the GGs weeks ago. He reportedly wanted the open marriage. He clearly was unfaithful with several co-stars and it was an *ahem* open secret. All the laughing and pointing at the situation overlooks that the other guy claimed Will was okay with the entanglement. I think they (Will and Jada) unfortunately got a jealous third party that didn't understand the assignment and parameters. You don't get whipped and pissy because you're side action isn't made permanent. If it was simply about embarrassment about the entanglement, Will could have become a recluse. You don't engage in big screen projects and appear everywhere all at once promoting and shooting your shot to finally get that Oscar after a more than 20 year campaign. You don't have another blockbuster in post-production already aiming for Oscar contention next year with Apple's backing. Anger at Jada would mean you wouldn't be by her side everywhere all at once. IMO, it was simply the raw emotions and anxiety coming to a boil. And again, I think it's more to the story that just the so-called joke. CR has taken over from Rick James: the hater stomping on your white couch with his filthy boots.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Re: April Watts and her tweet: That's an interesting perspective.... I have little knowledge of some of the things alluded to in that tweet [...]

I don't either, only that several people I follow on Twitter, who I have respect for (and who are a pretty diverse group, white, POC, straight, LGBTQ) had re-retweeted it around with apparently some agreement with [some] the sentiments posted.

@ronntaylor appears to have a different take, and I'm all in on shutting the fuck up and LISTENING to people who have a more informed opinion than I do (so carefully reading Ronn's reply!)

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting perspective.... I have little knowledge of some of the things alluded to in that tweet or whatever it was, especially the inner workings of the marriage relationship between Jada Pickett Smith and Will Smith or what issues either of them may discuss with their therapists if they have any.

I have a friend (who is White) who has alopecia and she has dealt with it for about five years now. It really is not an easy situation for anyone, regardless of race, but particularly a woman, as hair -- its color, its length, its texture, its styling, its shininess..... well, yes, is a big deal in our current society. Some people's very identity seems to be wrapped up in how they style their hair. Being robbed of this is devastating. My friend wears wigs or sometimes scarves when going out in public.

Actually, a lot of Black women that I've seen have very short or shaved hair and to be honest, before all this happened last night, I looked at Jada Pickett Smith and thought, "wow, she looks stunning!" She is a beautiful woman who can carry off a shaved or bald head much, much better than many other people could. Even so, that doesn't make this situation of alopecia any easier for her than for anyone else who is also struggling with this disorder. Of course she is going to be sensitive about it!
I've known two women that suffered with Alopecia, and an aunt that had severe eczema that wrecked her hair and hairline. All were reclusive and were always self-conscious. All three were African American and their condition added another complex layer on hair within Black communities. While a few Black women were "it's just hair," or "it's no biggie," others reminded us that that is not close to the truth. If that were true you wouldn't hear about Black girls getting their hair cut by school staff. You wouldn't hear about job denials or losses due to hair. You wouldn't read stories about CROWN acts in cities, states and possibly on the Federal level.

And there is no comparison to celebrity roasts. Roast targets are in on the joking. They know what to expect. The Oscars ain't the shitty Golden Globes run by a cabal of 3rd rate movie fan clubs with an extremely evil "host" that doesn't understand that even comedy has a line that should not be crossed. I got a kick out of Don Rickles schick. Years ago when I was young, immature and impressionable. Even as a young adult I realized his humor and ways were best left in the old days. It was tired, often bigoted and very, very unfunny.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with what he did.

On some level, I don't either.

Still, on the spectrum of possible responses, I don't think his was way at the "best response" end of the spectrum. I think there were probably a number of ways it could have been handled better than he did.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with what he did.

Don't joke about someone's health issues and there will be no problems.

I fault the both of them. Rock's joke was a red flag and way inappropriate, and Smith promptly overreacted. The latter behavior was certainly understandable, but disappointing and way past inappropriate too.

Just what the Academy didn't need, and Smith's behavior wasn't respectful of the producers, other performers and other award winners. Despite valiant production efforts to carry the show on out as if nothing untoward had happened, so much of the buzz later on was about that incident instead of about the awards. That's a once-in-a-lifetime evening for most of those Oscar recipients, and the buzz would rightly have been all about recognition of their professional achievements.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I got a kick out of Don Rickles schick. Years ago when I was young, immature and impressionable.

Me, in my 50s...
guilty.gif

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
On some level, I don't either.

Still, on the spectrum of possible responses, I don't think his was way at the "best response" end of the spectrum. I think there were probably a number of ways it could have been handled better than he did.

Oh yeah, I'm someone who definitely gets the desire to act, and in my younger days, I acted a whole lot. But Smith also can't cry over the consequences of his actions, he has to own that part too.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
IMO, it was simply the raw emotions and anxiety coming to a boil. And again, I think it's more to the story that just the so-called joke. CR has taken over from Rick James: the hater stomping on your white couch with his filthy boots.

Just quoting this part as I think it's a good, impactful sort of summary. Appreciate the longer explanation too.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don't either, only that several people I follow on Twitter, who I have respect for (and who are a pretty diverse group, white, POC, straight, LGBTQ) had re-retweeted it around with apparently some agreement with the sentiments posted.

@ronntaylor appears to have a different take, and I'm all in on shutting the fuck up and LISTENING to people who have a more informed opinion than I do (so carefully reading Ronn's reply!)
I'm just one of several views within Black communities. There are 3, 4 or maybe 5+ dominant viewpoints I saw expressed last night and today. Within my circle I would say 60-40 break towards Will. Many of those in the 40% group hate Will/Will & Jada so I take their views with a grain truckload of salt. Hair is a big discussion. Has been for decades. And TBH, CR has been a topic of discussion for years. Lately he's gotten some flak for his misogynistic rants. Both past "jokes" and recent behaviors. I'm not a fan of his and think my dislike of his routine colors my perspective on what happened last night. I also have info that I've decided to not share without the okay of others beforehand. Unless additional information comes out from well-known sources. Nothing extreme, but big enough to maybe give greater insight into what happened last night.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
The racist are out in full force on twitter.
In my most sincere opinion, many -- maybe most -- of the Black people faulting Will entirely are playing to that crowd. I say fuck them. Racists don't need anything to set them off. I have never and will never be a part of the Black Respectability Police™ quaking about how we gone look. Especially in the eyes of racists and self-hating ... people.

A friend with advanced degrees, a long prestigious academic career (thankfully not as a teacher/instructor) was all hyped up about how it ruined QuestLove's Oscar win. How it was the first Oscar telecast with a majority (all?) Black production team. And how it will probably be the last. If one Black person's overreaction prevents other uninvolved Black people from future Oscar opportunities it wasn't about Will's slap. Just like it wasn't about water fountains and front bus seats in the 50s and 60s.

Reactions: Joe

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
The most surprising game of "hand scissors rock paper" ever.

Try the veal, tip your waitress!! :censored:

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score

I've apparently been living under a rock. I usually don't pay attention to any of these awards but I saw an odd mention about Will Smith without much context and I was wondering what happened. Now I found this thread, and wow that awkward AF.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I was going to post a rant excoriating Smith. But a much better writer than I did a wonderful job; I strongly agree with this piece by Eric Deggans, who also appeared on the PBS News Hour to discuss the shameful violence during the Oscars.

Why was he given long minutes to offer a tearful spiel about how Richard Williams — the man he just won an Oscar for playing in the film King Richard — "was a fierce defender of his family"? As if that somehow explained why it was OK to assault a performer during a live telecast of Hollywood's biggest awards show?

Smith did apologize ... to the academy and to his fellow nominees. But he didn't apologize for what he actually did wrong. Even odder, the academy's Twitter account posted a message last night, reading, in part, "The Academy does not condone violence of any form." Except it just had.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I really don’t understand why this is being treated as a news story on par with the next Russian invasion.

Chris Rock’s joke wasn’t particularly funny, it was a weak roast. The best jokes don’t come at someone’s expense. But let’s not pretend getting roasted isn’t part of these award shows. Of all the things Rock could have made fun of, calling Jada GI Jane is probably the most benign. I have no idea if Chris Rock knew she had alopecia. And in recent times she appears to come to accept her condition and embrace it.

If he wanted to stand up for his wife I can respect that, but not by physically assault someone. There is nothing one can say that justifies a physical reaction like this.

And I commend Chris Rock for composing himself on stage. I think a good amount of men in that situation would have hit back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2