Buying at a Camera Store vs Online

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I recently took a lens I want to sell to a local camera store, knowing they wouldn't buy it but I could apply it on store credit for another lens I am interested in buying. I do understand they'll offer lower value than you can sell it for online so I expected it, but it was so far below that I couldn't consider it. All good, that's their call.

However, as a result I sold the lens privately for $500 more than they offered and ended up buying the new lens online instead, it was just more convenient and the store couldn't match the price.

My quandary here is that had the store given me a reasonable price for the lens they would've still easily made a few hundred selling it at their counter, and I would've purchased the new lense through them as well. My guess is they would've made a really decent profit overall had they chosen to.

I want to support them as I'm sure they struggle with all the online outlets but it feels like they don't want to compete.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
There is a Leica store near here. Never went in because I think Leica is probably way too expensive and advanced for me… but if I was going to get one, I’d go to the store instead of ordering online.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ever since Keeble and Shuchat closed the doors to both of their Palo Alto stores around 10 years ago, I've been giving all my business to B&H. Their prices are decent and there aren't any decent camera stores in the area anymore. I also often buy Apple stuff from them for the reason below.

Also... B&H has a store credit card where they pay the sales tax. In California that's a pretty good chunk!

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I try to buy locally when I can. Back in late 2019 when I made the big switch from Nikon to Sony I traded in all my gear at a local camera shop with whom I had been dong business for a while, and the deal was satisfactory on both ends. I suppose that I probably could've gotten more $$$$ for some of the gear had I tried to sell it privately, but it really was just not worth even attempting that hassle, given that I had a lot to trade/sell. I waited for rather a long while until the local shop actually had the Sony A1 in stock, and then I made my move. This worked out just fine: the shop took the older gear off my hands and I went home with new gear, having also still spent a little beyond the trade-in amount anyway, as one lens that I had not really planned on buying kept singing me a siren song to take her home with me, and in the end I just couldn't resist.....

Some items are just not available at any of the local shops and in that case it is much quicker and easier to simply place an order at B&H and the item arrives on the doorstep in a day or two after that. Neither of the local shops carries Voigtlander, for instance, and after over time I'd pretty much put together my basic core of native Sony lenses there were a couple of those magical Voigtlander lenses that I wanted....B&H to the rescue! However, I definitely prefer to buy a new camera body locally, where I can see and fondle the new body prior to making the purchase, and even if I have to wait a longer time before having the new gear, which I certainly did for the A1, to me that is worth it because overall I do want to support my local shops.

All that said, yes, sometimes it's more a matter of being lazy and not wanting to drive to the local shop quite a few miles to get something, just one small item -- and it really is more expeditious to simply go to B&H's website, order the thing there and wait for it to arrive on the doorstep. Did that recently with a 160GB Sony Tough CFExpress Type A card. These seem to come-and-go quickly from the local shop, which is not exactly close by, it requires a drive of some distance, so I simply took the shortcut of ordering one from B&H in the first place; it arrived a couple of days later and is now residing happily in Slot 1 of my A1, the older CFE card in Slot 2, both ready for the increased amount of shooting that I'll be doing this spring.

So for me it is balancing things out between the local shops and B&H when it comes to something I need or want in the way of photo gear. I prefer using local shops when possible but there are indeed those times when for whatever reason(s) it is truly more convenient to order from B&H online.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I recently took a lens I want to sell to a local camera store, knowing they wouldn't buy it but I could apply it on store credit for another lens I am interested in buying. I do understand they'll offer lower value than you can sell it for online so I expected it, but it was so far below that I couldn't consider it. All good, that's their call.

However, as a result I sold the lens privately for $500 more than they offered and ended up buying the new lens online instead, it was just more convenient and the store couldn't match the price.

My quandary here is that had the store given me a reasonable price for the lens they would've still easily made a few hundred selling it at their counter, and I would've purchased the new lense through them as well. My guess is they would've made a really decent profit overall had they chosen to.

I want to support them as I'm sure they struggle with all the online outlets but it feels like they don't want to compete.
So as we bought three camera stores where I work, I can tell you how to support them. Selling cameras and lenses (new) generates virtually no profit. Buy a bag, a tripod l, some lights. SD cards or other accessories. That’s where they make money.
Of course many buy old lenses and cameras and make good money on those.
The big issue with selling cameras is getting hold of them at the moment! We ordered 5 x Z9’s at launch. Had one delivered so far. They are all pre sold when they arrive.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Do your stores carry Sony, too? How is the A1 doing? It's been out longer than the Z9, of course, so I imagine that by now the first rush and early demand is pretty much over. Now that the Winter Olympics have finished up, too, availability on the new top-of-the-line bodies in all the major brands should be better anyway, even though there's still that pesky supply chain issue.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Ever since Keeble and Shuchat closed the doors to both of their Palo Alto stores around 10 years ago, I've been giving all my business to B&H. Their prices are decent and there aren't any decent camera stores in the area anymore. I also often buy Apple stuff from them for the reason below.

Also... B&H has a store credit card where they pay the sales tax. In California that's a pretty good chunk!
I'll definitely be buying my new lens from B&H, I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Do your stores carry Sony, too? How is the A1 doing? It's been out longer than the Z9, of course, so I imagine that by now the first rush and early demand is pretty much over. Now that the Winter Olympics have finished up, too, availability on the new top-of-the-line bodies in all the major brands should be better anyway, even though there's still that pesky supply chain issue.
Still loving my AR7III, such a huge improvement over the Canon in many ways. I also still use most of my Canon lenses on the MC-11 adapter, for landscape and long exposures I really don't need to worry about swapping them out.

However, at this point my biggest concern is the weight of my Canon 70-200, it's just a beast to carry around and is also several years old now, so this is where I'm going to pull the trigger on the Sony fe 70-200mm f/2.8 gm oss ii to lighten up my bag and get the latest and greatest updated lens.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

BTW, I just gotta say, I *love* my A1.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I adore my A1, too! Seriously the best camera I have ever had. I also still love my A7R IV but the A1 is much more versatile.

Eric, that new 70-200mm II sounds absolutely terrific and would be a great addition to your bag! It can be used with one of Sony's TCs, too, to add more "reach" if that is needed. I don't have one but it is on my list for maybe some day in the future.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I adore my A1, too! Seriously the best camera I have ever had. I also still love my A7R IV but the A1 is much more versatile.

Eric, that new 70-200mm II sounds absolutely terrific and would be a great addition to your bag! It can be used with one of Sony's TCs, too, to add more "reach" if that is needed. I don't have one but it is on my list for maybe some day in the future.

I have the original 70-200. It’s decent, and the II should be better. Heavy enough that I only use it with a tripod, really. I usually am shooting with the 35 GM or 24 GM, so I’m not really all that picky about telephoto zooms. For a long time I’ve been waffling about picking up a 135GM, though I keep hearing that maybe they’re doing an 85 GM II and that would be more useful to me.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not currently. Nikon, Canon and Fuji. There is a big financial commitment to all of the camera brands as well an an extensive set of hoops to jump through. But I've been pushing for Sony since day one.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I am surprised that your stores aren't carrying Sony, as that is the brand which has been a leader in mirrorless cameras for quite some time now and would fly off the cameras shops' shelves.
Well it would cost us a lot of money. You can’t just range what you want. You have to go all in, holding a specific list. Also the margin is non existent.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ow, yes, I can only imagine how expensive it would be if the store has to go all in and hold a specific list of bodies and lenses -- None of these camera bodies and lenses are cheap, no matter which manufacturer!
Agreed. The others are the same. I’d have added Sony if it was my decision, but I’m not the one running the stores.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Too bad, really -- Sony is increasingly popular over here in the US and they have the advantage of already having a really good selection of native mirrorless lenses to put on one's new Sony camera, too. Nikon and Canon are still trying to catch up in that regard.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Too bad, really -- Sony is increasingly popular over here in the US and they have the advantage of already having a really good selection of native mirrorless lenses to put on one's new Sony camera, too. Nikon and Canon are still trying to catch up in that regard.

Gotta love Sony. I started out with Konica range finders and Pentax film SLRs, then canon slrs, canon dslrs, then Sony APS-C and finally an a7R, A7S, A7R-II and now an A1. The two biggest technology surges I’ve seen were Canon in the late film/early DSLR days, and now Sony. But Sony has kept the pace up for much longer than Canon did. And until someone comes along and matches their sensor expertise, it’s going to be hard to keep pace with them.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'll say that Canon has been beefing up their mirrorless lens catalogue and has made their line of native lenses easily adaptable but you're right that they're playing catch up. Canon and Nikon were the biggest names in photography and have fallen behind Sony who took a unique and bold step by going all in on the mirrorless market. I mean look at how many long time loyalists who have made the move, you almost feel bad for the others but they only have themselves to blame.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I started out with a Minolta something-or-other as my first SLR, then eventually moved up to a Nikon SLR (N90, I think) and remained a Nikon user for many years. I bought a Sony NEX 7, which I loved and which was my introduction to mirrorless. I had three lenses for it and found myself using it more than my Nikon gear. Then I had a period where I didn't do much shooting at all and all my gear just sat in the camera bags and the cabinet. Time passed and I bought a Sony RX10 IV "bridge" camera for a particular trip, and when I got home started using that camera on walks around the lake, too, and eventually this rekindled my love of photography and I started thinking about updating what I had. By this time the shift towards mirrorless was in full swing, and I knew it would be foolish to buy another DSLR or lenses, so focused my attention on what was available in mirrorless, and what would soon become available. It took well over a year before I actually bought anything b because every time I thought I'd made my mind up someone would announce something new, and I would wait to see what that was before making any changes.

Because I was a long-time Nikon user of course it made sense to wait and see what their mirrorless line would be like, and there were assurances that those of us who had older lenses could use them with the new FTZ adapter on the new Z camera bodies. Yeah, well, turned out that reality was a bit different, and while I could have used some of my older lenses with an FTZ, they would have become manual focus only, and a few of of my lenses weren't going to be compatible at all. That was not acceptable. Nikon's offerings in the way of new native Z lenses was also very disappointing, especially as they did not offer any macro lenses, nor at that time were any even on their projected "roadmap" for the future. (By the time they finally did release a couple of macro lenses I had already been enjoying my Sony 50mm and 90mm macro lenses for two years. That 90mm macro lens was all but glued to the camera for the first year, too. Glad I didn't wait!) I had already been leaning in the direction of Sony anyway, and this was the signal to me that it was time to make the break from Nikon and move on. While I was making my listing of the older Nikon gear that I would be trading in on a new A7R III, darned if Sony didn't announce the A7R IV! So I waited a little longer.....

The A7R IV was definitely worth the wait and it, along with the three lenses I took home that first day back in November, 2019, was worth making the total change from Nikon to the Sony system. I have been more than happy with my gear and over the past couple of years have added lenses as the need or desire arose, and each lens is truly excellent. Trouble is, just when I think I'm all set, Sony offers another amazing new lens to tempt me as well. Funny how that works.....

Last edited:

bunnspecial

Site Champ
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have a real camera shop nearby.

Back in Kentucky, there were two excellent shops within a mile of each other and typically my Friday afternoons involved a visit to both.

One was modern, slick, up-to-date and sold new gear with some selection of used. It was a 3rd-generation family owned and operated store(son of the founder was the big guy in charge, and his son was learning the ropes to likely take over in a few years) I bought a decent bit from them, mostly used. Among my regular use stuff, my 24-70mm f/2.8 came from them, as well as a few other lenses. They did get a decent bit of business for me on stuff like the "Oh crap, this battery quit working, okay I'll pay Murphy's $70 for a new EN-EL15b"(which honestly wasn't a terrible price, and I knew at least I was getting the real thing).

Then, there was Chuck...Chuck Rubin Photographics has since moved and downsized, but it was and still is not just a camera store but an experience. He never dealt in anything but used cameras, but dealt in everything from antique(and by antique I daguerrotype and wet plate era cameras) to the newest he could get his hands on. My first "wow, I really like digital" body was a D800 that I bought from him and still have. He sold me a lot of other stuff too, including my Hasselblad kit and far too many other medium format cameras, Nikon Fs and F2s, and just other stuff I'd see that would catch my interest. If I needed oddball filters, he had a couple of old library card catalogs with filters sorted by size. I'd dig through the 52mm or whatever drawer, make a stack, and he'd look at what I had and if they were mostly 81As, Y2s, etc, he might charge me a few bucks if I was grabbing Nikon or B+Ws, or if I was buying something else would often just say take them. He was piled floor to ceiling with stuff, and I'd often joke about tripping over something. His new store, which I've visited once, unfortunately lacks the charm of the old, but the same old Chuck who was half the reason the store was so successful is still there.

The new store-I tried to sell to them a few times but never got a great offer from them.

Chuck-I'd often end up trading with some cash in either direction, and he always traded favorably. At one point he knew I was hot for a Nikon F2AS and was dangling a near perfect one he had as a bit of a carrot over my head. I found some old Cooke 16mm Cinema lenses I'd bought in an auction(live auction) box lot years ago and thought I'd see if he was interested. He made an offer, I agreed, and then he listed them on Ebay to see the prices go nuts. A few days later he calls me and says "I feel bad. Come down here and take this F2AS or let me give you more money." Before it was all said and done I'd also hauled a carload of Norman lights out of his store...

Top Bottom
1 2