Hunter Biden Plea Deal

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instead they see him as someone who has largely escaped his legal issues because of his last name.

That’s a class issue, the real 2 tiered justice system. I don’t think anybody on the left is denying that.

Speaking of which, how is it Navarro got found guilty but gets to remain free while his appeals go through the court? I’m unaware of any major media of either side talking about that because they would be talking against their class.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Here we go...

Hunter Biden indicted on federal gun charges​

The indictment against the president's son comes after a plea agreement on tax and gun charges fell apart in July and amid a probe of his finances by House Republicans.
He needs Lawyer Rosemary Scapicchio, who just got N.E. Patriots Safety Jack Jones off of 8 of 9 charges for bringing 2 concealed loaded handguns with extended magazines in his carryon luggage (with his name on it) into Logan Airport. Of course he didn't have a FID card and wasn't registered in MA as a gun owner. All of which is a huge no-no in MA, and some of the charges had mandatory prison time associated, that could have potentially been about 30 years maximum. Somehow she worked her magic and got him off of all of them except for a airport security violation and has to perform some community service.

That was some good lawyering.

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We will see. Being charged doesn't mean squat. It's good for headlines, but I would wager he won't go to prison because of it.

I suspect if after a trial he's found guilty his punishment will in general be commensurate with others who have faced similar charges and found guilty. Or... if others indicted for similar charges and offered some form of plea deal, Hunter may also be offered something similar.

This really is a big nothing burger. There's a process, and it will be followed.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I suspect if he's found guilty his punishment will in general be commensurate with others who have faced similar charges and found guilty. Or... if others indicted for similar charges and offered some form of plea deal, Hunter may also be offered something similar.
According to lawyers on CNN this isn't typically something they go out and charge on, rather they focus on plea deals but the right has made such an issue out of it they felt compelled to do it publicly.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
...I would wager he won't go to prison because of it.

Should he? Have you looked into what the standard is for these types of crimes? Did he do something that routinely lands others in prison for committing the same crime and under similar circumstances?

I'll be honest. I can't answer those questions. I just don't understand the assumption that he should land in jail for what he's done. If it's normal for people to end up in jail for owning a weapon while using drugs, so be it. But I'm not clear that's the case. I'll go a step further and say I don't believe it's a serious crime that one would routinely be jailed for without other factors being involved (being on probation for example). But again, I honestly don't know for sure.

What should happen is he goes through the system like any other citizen. If found guilty, he faces the same consequences any other citizen would face.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I suspect if after a trial he's found guilty his punishment will in general be commensurate with others who have faced similar charges and found guilty. Or... if others indicted for similar charges and offered some form of plea deal, Hunter may also be offered something similar.

This really is a big nothing burger. There's a process, and it will be followed.

The right won’t be happy if his punishment isn’t commensurate with the poorest minority repeat offender with a public defender.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
1694733282358.png

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
This is so absurd.

Ok, charge him with having the gun. Republicans are celebrating - sort of - but…. Was this the plan? Some weak gun charges and some tax evasion or whatever?

I’m not saying he’s innocent, quite the opposite. It’s just not salacious, how many Republican parents have drug-addicted kids who get in trouble? Probably a lot, it’s a universal issue that transcends income, race, social status, etc.

Charge him or don’t, but the Republican circus surrounding this dude is a strange obsession.

If Joe Biden was guilty of what he’s accused of (and he’s not), he’d essentially only be guilty of doing things Trump’s family did in the wide open with the full support of the Republican Party. Co-mingling his office and businesses, letting his sons wheel and deal for him and bring his daughter and son into the White House, while allowing Kushner to obtain clearances he was advised not to have.

It’s not that I think what they’re accusing Joe Biden of is OK; it isn’t. But there’s ZERO proof and Trump has already done worse.

Anyways, I get why Hunter is being charged, but I don’t think he’d have been charged in any other time. While Trump pretends he’s being persecuted, Hunter Biden is probably a low-level offender who, if his last name wasn’t Biden, would be allowed to plea out and serve no time.

I think the DoJ is being pulled in every direction and the optics of not charging Hunter Biden would be used as further fuel in the House GOP’s bogus “weaponization of the DOJ” arguments.

The good news is that republicans are so inept they will find a way to take this thorny issue for Joe Biden and, when trying to weaponize it, fail spectacularly and end up embarrassing themselves.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Should he? Have you looked into what the standard is for these types of crimes? Did he do something that routinely lands others in prison for committing the same crime and under similar circumstances?

I'll be honest. I can't answer those questions.

Yes it is.

This is just for the lying on the Form 4473. The other charges are going to be either thrown out or rendered invalid. The 5th Circuit ruled that possession or use of a controlled substance is not a valid reason to terminate a person's 2A rights. While not binding on the District Court in DE, it will be considered. At some point SCOTUS will rule on it.

This is so absurd.

Ok, charge him with having the gun. Republicans are celebrating - sort of - but…. Was this the plan? Some weak gun charges and some tax evasion or whatever?

The main charge is lying on Form 4473. I don't consider a felony charge with a possible 10-year sentence a weak charge.

If Joe Biden was guilty of what he’s accused of (and he’s not),

What proof do you have of this?

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

This is just for the lying on the Form 4473.

The main charge is lying on Form 4473. I don't consider a felony charge with a possible 10-year sentence a weak charge.

Of the 8 (eight) people listed in that story, they all appear to be guilty of more than just lying on the form. Hunter has no criminal record. He didn't commit a crime with the weapon. He wasn't dealing weapons. He lied on a government form. Short of a shocking revelation, that appears to be the only crime committed in this case. If you think he's going to get 10 years, I think you're mistaking wishes for reality.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Of the 8 (eight) people listed in that story, they all appear to be guilty of more than just lying on the form. Hunter has no criminal record. He didn't commit a crime with the weapon. He wasn't dealing weapons. He lied on a government form. Short of a shocking revelation, that appears to be the only crime committed in this case. If you think he's going to get 10 years, I think you're mistaking wishes for reality.

I don't think he will spend 10 days in jail.

But this charge was similar:

EDDIE WAYNE MORRISON, 34 of Duncan, Oklahoma, was sentenced to time-served, or essentially 16 months in federal custody, on December 29, 2022, for making a false statement during the purchase of a firearm.

Similar to what Hunter did.

The 10 years comment was simply a rebuttal that it was a weak charge. No Felony charge that carries a "possibility" of 10 years is weak.

That said, would you be willing to lie on a Form 4473? I would not.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

On the surface, they do appear to be the same. But a short Google search reveals that they're actually not that similar. Before lying on the form, he was declared incompetent by the court and was involved with some protective order. So again, there were other factors at work here beyond just lying on a form.

Find me a person sitting in jail with a completely clean record and whose only crime is lying on that form.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here we go...

Hunter Biden indicted on federal gun charges​

The indictment against the president's son comes after a plea agreement on tax and gun charges fell apart in July and amid a probe of his finances by House Republicans.
quote:
An attorney for Hunter Biden, Abbe Lowell, said in a statement that the new charges were politically influenced and are unwarranted. "We believe these charges are barred by the agreement the prosecutors made with Mr. Biden, the recent rulings by several federal courts that this statute is unconstitutional, and the facts that he did not violate that law, and we plan to demonstrate all of that in court,” Lowell said.

In an interview with CNN on Thursday evening, Lowell said he believed there was "ambiguity in the statute" under which Biden was charged.

“The law says whether or not the person is possessing the gun while they are addicted," he told host Erin Burnett. "There is ambiguity in the statute, which we will have to pursue if this case continues. At the time that he purchased this gun, I don’t think there’s evidence that that’s when he was suffering. When you refer to his book, he had just come out of rehabilitation.”

Related article of interest: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ju...ges-hunter-biden-are-rarely-brought-rcna90191

It’s freaking amazing that the GOP is all over this while turning a blind eye to The Chief Treasonist Criminal. Regrading Hunter Biden, I’m in wait and see mode. By accounts this could be a crime, ie him being guilty of it, but it’s nothing even approaching Trump levels, so this is regarded on the harsh side, unless you are a Trumpist…

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think he will spend 10 days in jail.

But this charge was similar:

The 10 years comment was simply a rebuttal that it was a weak charge. No Felony charge that carries a "possibility" of 10 years is weak.

That said, would you be willing to lie on a Form 4473? I would not.
Similar to what he was alleged to have done The real issue is how many people are drug users are purchasing weapons “legally” ie going through the application process? If it’s an issue why not require a drug test for all gun owners prior to purchase? And you could legally purchase a gun and later started using, or come out of rehab clean and describe themselves as not a user, since the “ambiguity in the statute” as cited. :unsure:

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

Anyone who smokes weed and filled those out when/where it’s illegal has broken the same law. It’s the jaywalking of felonies, and hardly ever charged even when discovered, unless done in connection with trying to keep known felons, criminals, etc.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t be charged or is innocent, but go ahead and find the cases where these charges alone have been brought when no other types of serious crimes are committed and the accused isn’t a known threat of danger.

Meanwhile, once again, this rings hollow when the right sees Rittenhouse as a hero.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s a class issue, the real 2 tiered justice system. I don’t think anybody on the left is denying that.

Speaking of which, how is it Navarro got found guilty but gets to remain free while his appeals go through the court? I’m unaware of any major media of either side talking about that because they would be talking against their class.
Same reason that Bannon is still free awaiting appeal. Anyone without money would have served time by now.

As for the federal form whatever, who has to fill these out? I ask as a gun owner, because it was not something I was given when purchasing my pistol some years ago.

Top Bottom
1 2