Ilhan Omar to introduce articles of impeachment

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
This guy trying to make the case for Trump's defense is glib, but his arguments are weak. He's talking like holding this impeachment is going to open the door to routine, ongoing impeachments. And that the solution for getting rid of politicians you don't like is to elect someone else. Then what does impeachment exist for?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
More than a dozen of the people being prosecuted for storming that capitol have said they did it because Trump incited them. One of them is even willing to testify to that at the impeachment trial. For some reason, I'm going to assume none of this is going to be allowed into evidence.
What gives you that idea, besides the obvious?

There are posters' in the other place who keep telling this me is all nonsense, because THEY didn't hear the president tell anyone to storm on the 6th. As if what THEY heard is of any importance, compared to the people ACTUALLY involved in the insurrection.

Twitter is enjoying 45's lawyer at least
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1359238285294403584/

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1359237412484956160/

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I think they're playing good cop/bad cop, because while the other guy at least made an attempt to sound like he was appealing to the Senate on an intellectual basis, this guy, Schoen, is just throwing red meat to the Trumpers. He's clearly and purely partisan. And his audiovisuals are laughable, like a montage of clips of Democrats calling for Trump's impeachment (presumably to bolster his argument that if we go through this one it'll become commonplace for both parties). The first guy, Castor, was meant to appeal to the traditional Republicans; the second guy, Schoen, is appealing to the MAGAts.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
What gives you that idea, besides the obvious?
I read somewhere earlier that they aren't going to allow witness testimony but can decide later that they will.

I think one of the most disturbing factors to this trial is everybody was present when the mob stormed the building and half of them are now going "Eh, no big whoop." and being stone wall ignorant that none of that would have happened without Trump.

Were Hillary supporters not upset when she lost? How about Al Gore's? I don't recall them choosing to express themselves similarly to Trump supporters.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter what his lawyers say or do. They could take a dump on the Senate floor and smear it on the faces of the Republican members and they would STILL vote to acquit Trump. They are cowards; they think if they do anything negative to Trump, they will get “primaried” and lose their seats. They are pathetic excuses for human beings.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter what his lawyers say or do. They could take a dump on the Senate floor and smear it on the faces of the Republican members and they would STILL vote to acquit Trump. They are cowards; they think if they do anything negative to Trump, they will get “primaried” and lose their seats. They are pathetic excuses for human beings.

Odds are they would get primaried and possibly lose their seats, but what I can't fathom is long time members wanting to be in the party of Trump and all that stands for and expects. Prior to 4 years ago nobody signed up for this grotesque cancer of a party and its leader. I'd be "This isn't what I signed up for. Bye, Felicias" and get the Hell out.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Odds are they would get primaried and possibly lose their seats, but what I can't fathom is long time members wanting to be in the party of Trump and all that stands for and expects. Prior to 4 years ago nobody signed up for this grotesque cancer of a party and its leader. I'd be "This isn't what I signed up for. Bye, Felicias" and get the Hell out.
Power is what they want. They will do anything to hold onto it.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Power is what they want. They will do anything to hold onto it.
The GOP has lost their minds and vital to the maintenance of their insanity relies on a mob of like minded citizens who pretend to be patriots while endorsing the defacto destruction of the Republic as we know it. They are brilliant, right? 👀

Oh sure, they would deny the destruction of the Republic comment, rationalizing how they are really the good guys, breaking the law for a good cause, trying to install Emperor Donny. :oops: This is a complete embarrassment to the notion of the common sense of the average white male...at least the ones who fall under the spell of conman who appeals to their white superiority, and thought storming the Capitol was the leading edge of the revolution.

This is a real blow to the image of the United States of America, the video today played in Congress during the impeachment hearing, watching a mob of idiots pretend they are patriots when they were just fools being played by a bankrupt, immoral sociopath. And then there is the GOP trying to feed their base to keep themselves in office. Tragic. 😥

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
How ‘bout that? I see there’s still one Trump-related account that hasn’t been shut down by Twitter. And today the account tweeted this:

“Imagine having a 'trial' where the 'judge' had already voted to convict the defendant?" the tweet read. "That's what happens in banana republics, third world dictatorships and now the United States Senate. SAD!"

Huh. Now who do you suppose wrote that? 😄

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I can’t help wondering...

If Trump gets off the hook for this, as it appears he will, could the government still bring criminal treason charges against him, just as it can against any of the rioters?

My instinct is to say no, that that is what the Founding Fathers created impeachment for. But it seems impeachment is mainly about removal from office. It may not cover criminal punishment for such gross infractions of the law.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I can’t help wondering...

If Trump gets off the hook for this, as it appears he will, could the government still bring criminal treason charges against him, just as it can against any of the rioters?

My instinct is to say no, that that is what the Founding Fathers created impeachment for. But it seems impeachment is mainly about removal from office. It may not cover criminal punishment for such gross infractions of the law.
Legally? Absolutely! He can face criminal charges for the same actions he was impeached for. It doesn’t even matter if he is convicted by the Senate or not, no double jeopardy here. In theory he could be found guilty by both systems for the same set of actions.

U

User.45

Legally? Absolutely! He can face criminal charges for the same actions he was impeached for. It doesn’t even matter if he is convicted by the Senate or not, no double jeopardy here. In theory he could be found guilty by both systems for the same set of actions.
It would be a joke if he couldn't. I suspect having a clear and direct conflict of interest (on both sides) eliminates the idea of "impartial jurors".

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I really cannot see Trump being popular even with the Republican base in 2024/26.
Fingers crossed.
That is certainly what his own lawyer was implying during his opening remarks.

Top Bottom
1 2