Ilhan Omar to introduce articles of impeachment

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
If they fail to convict him, it is the end of the Republican Party. The far-right nuts are the loudest voices in the room, but the average Republican voter will punish those who support Trump going forward. They think most Republicans are Trump-nuts? Nope. They’re making an inexcusable ethical and moral transgression. But they are also making a huge political mistake.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
"This was a dereliction of duty, plain and simple" - when DJT couldn't bring himself to simply say "Stop. Go home." Or send help to the Capitol police.

I will never understand how many GOP will not vote to convict after today's presentation.
It’s not like one of them died. Just some of the serfs did.

Convicting Trump risks them losing to a Boebert or Taylor-Greene in the next primary. Politicians aren’t known for their ethics or morality, especially the Republicans.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying. But I would love to see this bite them in the arse. HARD.
I think some people who voted GOP in the past have sworn it off forever because of Trump, especially after Jan 6. His final presidential approval rating when he left DC was in the 20s. I think the Senators are making a political mistake if they don’t convict. They are massively over-estimating Trump’s current popularity. Can a young person voting for the first time really vote for a party that failed to hold accountable the person who incited an attack on their nation’s Capitol?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
"This was a dereliction of duty, plain and simple" - when DJT couldn't bring himself to simply say "Stop. Go home." Or send help to the Capitol police.

I will never understand how many GOP will not vote to convict after today's presentation.
Yes. Trump’s actions (and lack of actions) after the mob had breached the Capitol should have been enough for everyone to immediately condemn him. Especially given the amount of pro-Trump merchandise flown by the mob...

The world is laughing at the US, and the upcoming acquittal will only make it worse.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Mike Lee trying to pull a PRSI at the impeachment.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1359665914808049666/

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1359663181455622145/

Lee's spokesman said the calls from Trump and his attorney were intended for Sen. Tommy Tuberville, a newly elected Republican from Alabama.

The effort by the White House to get Tuberville to delay certification of the votes provides insight into the President's thinking and priorities as a mob of his supporters lay siege to the iconic building. As the President worked to convince Tuberville to delay the process, he and other top White House officials did little to check in on Vice President Mike Pence while he and members of his family were inside the breached Capitol, a source close to the vice president told CNN.

Trump first called the personal cell phone of Lee, a Utah Republican, shortly after 2 p.m. ET. At that time the senators had been evacuated from the Senate floor and were in a temporary holding room, as a pro-Trump mob began breaching the Capitol.

Lee picked up the phone and Trump identified himself, and it became clear he was looking for Tuberville and had been given the wrong number. Lee, keeping the President on hold, went to find his colleague and handed Tuberville his phone, telling him the President was on the line and had been trying to reach him.

Tuberville spoke with Trump for less than 10 minutes, with the President trying to convince him to make additional objections to the Electoral College vote in a futile effort to block Congress' certification of President-elect Joe Biden's win, according to a source familiar with the call. The call was cut off because senators were asked to move to a secure location.

CNN has reached out to Tuberville's office for comment.

The second call to Lee came in at 7 p.m. ET from Giuliani. Lee did not answer the call so it went to voicemail. Lee's office confirmed to CNN that the voicemail was intended for Tuberville and the message left from Giuliani was very similar to one that another unnamed GOP senator received. The transcript of that call was published by the conservative outlet The Dispatch as well as the news blog emptywheel.

"Sen. Tuberville? Or I should say Coach Tuberville. This is Rudy Giuliani, the President's lawyer," he said according to to the transcript.

"I'm calling you because I want to discuss with you how they're trying to rush this hearing and how we need you, our Republican friends, to try to just slow it down so we can get these legislatures to get more information to you," Giuliani said, referring to unfounded claims of voter fraud in the presidential election.

"I know they're reconvening at 8 tonight, but it ... the only strategy we can follow is to object to numerous states and raise issues so that we get ourselves into tomorrow -- ideally until the end of tomorrow."

Tuberville was unaware that Giuliani had tried to reach him until it was publicly reported, according to the source.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

Eraserhead

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
If they fail to convict him, it is the end of the Republican Party. The far-right nuts are the loudest voices in the room, but the average Republican voter will punish those who support Trump going forward. They think most Republicans are Trump-nuts? Nope. They’re making an inexcusable ethical and moral transgression. But they are also making a huge political mistake.
There’s no way the mildly racist little old ladies and men who live in small towns and vote conservative because they always have and/or don’t like change support overthrowing the government. I agree completely here.

It's an issue with voters too though.
It’s an issue with the primary voters in the Republican Party.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I sincerely hope you are right while I look at 70M votes for this POS who was a POS before 6Jan.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

If they fail to convict they are corrupt, tribal, and chose their power and position over their country even if it is fleeting. Ultimately these people fear their base.

I emailed both my Senators yesterday, one of them Ted Cruz, telling them:
as US Senators who took an Oath of Office to protect an defend the Constitution, after watching the presentation of Impeachment Managers, I could not imagine you not voting to convict Donald Trump and to please stop being Trump enablers. There is a time when you must pick your Country over your party and this is one of those times.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
There’s no way the mildly racist little old ladies and men who live in small towns and vote conservative because they always have and/or don’t like change support overthrowing the government. I agree completely here.

It’s an issue with the primary voters in the Republican Party.
I’ll say that is an open question. Let’s see how the vote goes, and then let’s see how many Republicans punish their Senators. I admit In combination with Democrats in applicable States, if enough of them turn, the refuse to hold Trump accountable Senators could find themselves out of jobs. At the same time I view these elected Republican officials people like Jordan, Gaetz, Gomer, Graham, McConnell, Cruz and the latest nut case MARJORIE, are products of the citizens representing the majority of 24 States where Republicans have total control.

Now I live in one of those States, and the good news is that the Texas appears to be purplish, areas like Houston which is huge and Austin run Democratic. But Texas us vast, but we just have to overcome all the country bumpkins who for whatever reason elect Right Wing corrupt dopes who think that truth is a hinderance. They have made a calculation the Right Wing liars is better than Left Wing truth.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can a young person voting for the first time really vote for a party that failed to hold accountable the person who incited an attack on their nation’s Capitol?

I honestly don't believe a first time young voter is mature enough to grapple with that. They have their pet issues, upbringing, and social circles and echo chambers like anybody else. If they are right leaning they probably aren't watching the impeachment trial at all. Not to mention many young people don't vote at all unless you give them something young people feel passionate about. Corrupt politicians is nothing new.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I honestly don't believe a first time young voter is mature enough to grapple with that. They have their pet issues, upbringing, and social circles and echo chambers like anybody else. If they are right leaning they probably aren't watching the impeachment trial at all. Not to mention many young people don't vote at all unless you give them something young people feel passionate about. Corrupt politicians is nothing new.
If you are young and ideal you may be more able to make radical change. I was 20 when I threw off the Republican Party because of Watergate, although I tended to lean Republican until gaining more wisdom, insight, and perspective working in labor, while watching the Republican Party continue to spiral down into blatant deceit and reliance on wedge issues to control and appeal to their target base.

Top Bottom
1 2