Parler about to be blocked from appstore

MarkusL

Power User
Reaction score
Parler running on Russian servers is a bad look. Although, Trumpers and their enablers seem unconcerned about how they look. They‘ll just do the “these aren’t the droids you’re looking for” transparent lying maneuver.
Indeed. One would have thought the Trump Organization running on Russian money laundered through Deutsche Bank would be a bad look too.

U

User.45

Yes, unfortunately, they tend to do this by seeking refuge in complicated semantics, and excavating convoluted forms of syntax and vocabulary.
The irritating part is that this absolutely enables racists. It maintains this double coded channel of communication that which you call out, you're labeled irrational. Also, the same people with this attitude are usually the one who benefit from this not getting called out.

U

User.45

Here’s a really good article from Politico, explaining the many ways a deplatformed Trump can attempt to continue being a big media presence—and why all of them are liable to be failures.

Indeed Trump's reach disappears into thin air without mainstream social media. One of the major miscalculations: pushing beyond the limits is a costly thing for which he does not have a good plan B.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Indeed Trump's reach disappears into thin air without mainstream social media. One of the major miscalculations: pushing beyond the limits is a costly thing for which he does not have a good plan B.

One of the major miscalculations - and it is rather ironical that Mr Trump, who casually tosses everyone under the proverbial bus sooner or later, didn't see this coming - is that those social media patforms, who doubtless made a fortune hosting Mr Trump, and from the traffic he drove in their direction - would be very quick indeed to drop him, and sever any and all ties with him, and deprive him of the oxygen of publicity that their platforms afforded him, - the very first minute he looked as though he was going to seriously damage their brand (commercially/economically, legally, politically).

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Which dovetails with a belief of mine that tyrants may win the day temporarily, but they always take it one step too far.

Until Wednesday I was frankly ready to abandon that belief.

We're not nearly out of the woods yet, though. Months and years from now we'll hear people congratulating our system of government for being resilient enough to survive the events of the past few days. The pessimist in me thinks, yeah, we survived by the skin of our teeth. A more organized and devious plan, and things could have been very different.

As well as I know the book "The Andromeda Strain", I remember a snippet on its back cover:

Science fiction, which once frightened because it seemed so far out, now frightens because it seems so near.
The same may be said of political fiction. At the risk of harping on this one show, I just watched its opening scene again for the first time in a couple of years.

You know how they say certain events can affect the national psyche? Well, I'm not trying to be melodramatic when I tell you that for the first time, at the climactic moment of this clip, I felt what I can only describe as a momentary panic attack.

LIVEFRMNYC

Power User
Reaction score
One of the major miscalculations - and it is rather ironical that Mr Trump, who casually tosses everyone under the proverbial bus sooner or later, didn't see this coming - is that those social media patforms, who doubtless made a fortune hosting Mr Trump, and from the traffic he drove in their direction - would be very quick indeed to drop him, and sever any and all ties with him, and deprive him of the oxygen of publicity that their platforms afforded him, - the very first minute he looked as though he was going to seriously damage their brand (commercially/economically, legally, politically).

It's easy for them to do that, now that Dems will be in power. If Georgia went another way, I believe all these companies wouldn't have jumped on the ban bandwagon. At most Twitter would have kept it a temp suspension.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It's easy for them to do that, now that Dems will be in power. If Georgia went another way, I believe all these companies wouldn't have jumped on the ban bandwagon. At most Twitter would have kept it a temp suspension.

Absolutely.

A number of reasons, which, when taken together, made this possible, but the fact that the Democrats have the House, the Seanate and the Presidency (and thus, the political capacity, mandate and heft to introduce and carry necessary legislation), must have concentrated minds wonderfully.

As is the fact that power is visiby ebbing from Mr Trump, while I don't doubt that Wall St has made its displeasure about Wednesday known, - Wall St may have sold its soul but it still prefers political stability, and a reputation as a banana republic will not do much for the reputation, status, and prestige of the US.

I have also made the point earlier that I have absolutely no doubt that some form of regulative oversight of the social media platforms will emanate from the EU - I see this as inevitable, though it will take time - and the social media platforms had to be seen to be capable of some sort of self-regulation, otherwise, the argument (clamour and call) for them to be regulated by relevant authorities (a government, or supranational body, such as the EU, with an appropriately robust mandate) will become ever louder.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I'm cynical about it too, but for a different reason. There were deaths involved, and I don't think they want to be dragged into any criminal charges and/or civil lawsuits as an accessory, however unwitting.

LIVEFRMNYC

Power User
Reaction score
I'm cynical about it too, but for a different reason. There were deaths involved, and I don't think they want to be dragged into any criminal charges and/or civil lawsuits as an accessory, however unwitting.

They are protected by the 230 protection act. Which Trump recently threatened to veto days ago, but Trump's power is near worthless now. 🤣

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
They are protected by the 230 protection act. Which Trump recently threatened to veto days ago, but Trump's power is near worthless now. 🤣

I wouldn't say "worthless" - that moral monster is still dangerous, and will be until noon on January 20 - but I would say (and isn't it a splendid sight to behold) that his power is ebbing away, leaching away, seeping away, by the hour and by the day.

And, deprived of the oxygen (or megaphone) of his social media platforms, it is just that bit more diffiuclt to energise and mobilise his (and here, I use this term quite deliberately) - deeply deplorable base.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
The thought of whatever keystone cop legal team Trump can muster tackling Facebook and Twitter legal teams sounds briefly entertaining.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Parler may be heading for the scrap heap. Turns out attempting to spread your message of anarchy to a group of radical terrorists is frowned upon.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1348315417924743169/

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 3.02.15 PM.png

Eraserhead

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
I doubt it. The capital storming broke through to normal people. That’s what makes it a big deal.

Political stories in the UK that have broken through in the last year:
  1. COVID lockdowns etc.
  2. Dominic Cummings eye tests
  3. The siege of the US capital

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
As far as I know, IRC is still a thing, and each channel has its own moderators. There is also: making your own website with a comments section, Usenet, email lists, writing letters, calling people on the phone, hanging out together in person, etc, etc.

We have more ways to communicate than ever before. Politicians generally don’t have a huge imagination nor any awareness of how technology works.

Of course if you are convinced that Twitter and Facebook are the only places you can communicate, you could always try doing so within their terms of service, just like EVERY OTHER USER HAS TO!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
As far as I know, IRC is still a thing, and each channel has its own moderators. There is also: making your own website with a comments section, Usenet, email lists, writing letters, calling people on the phone, hanging out together in person, etc, etc.

We have more ways to communicate than ever before. Politicians generally don’t have a huge imagination nor any awareness of how technology works.

Of course if you are convinced that Twitter and Facebook are the only places you can communicate, you could always try doing so within their terms of service, just like EVERY OTHER USER HAS TO!
Really, all they have to do is NOT incite violence, plan riots and promote domestic terrorism and they wouldn't be banned. It's not that hard. Republicans will need to do some serious rebuilding before the mainstream will have them back.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

I'm not convinced of that.

OK it has taken awhile to sink in because we are a politically divided nation, but the plain facts are

1) the Capitol Building we saw attacked by Americans on 1/6 was the fourth target on the 9/11 list, and

2) we don't have a new Capitol Building today instead of a national monument out in a field in rural Pennsylvania, arguably only because some people on Flight 93 said let's roll and provided some fucking national security.

So as to that Capitol Building, where exactly was our fucking national security.

Yeah. All those outfits have rafts of legal counsel, and the 230 shield was already starting to feel flimsy because Congress has been on the big social media platforms to clean up their act for a long time already.

Yeah! I'd sure like to think Trump's power is nearly gone now. Ten days and counting, what could go wrong.

Fear of the 230 act disappearing is not probably what drove those media companies to de-platform Trump. I think it was sheer horror that what was unfolding had been planned on their platforms and that there appears to have been some rather studied ignorance of that in high echelons of what's left of the Trump-tweaked national security and defense establishments in the shreds of Donald Trump's administration.

I don't think events of January 6 were exactly a coup attempt. The events were facilitated though by a long fostered Big Lie meant to launch a "people's effort" to attack lawmakers they were falsely led to believe were themselves engaged in a coup by fraudulent election. That is pretty Orwellian.

Trump didn't invent all that himself. We should find out who may have facilitated any part of it behind scenes, quite aside from any studiously idle suggestions by the likes of Bannon, Flynn and god knows who else. If there was ever a puppet with a thousand masters, it's Donald Trump.

How ironic that Trump himself is an authoritarian. Yet he does not really know how to lead. He is a really good 2nd. He's like Baghdad Bob sometimes. And no one whistles up porch dogs like Trump does.

So Trump is impeachable. Again. Trump gave the high sign in his speech at the DC rally on Wednesday to "go fight like hell or we won't even have a country". And he certainly had tweeted encouragement to show up down there on that day, adding that it "will be wild".

After those remarks, his tweets, the incessant nagging at every official he could think of to "find" votes to cement a fake victory for himself: no one should be surprised that the media platforms finally said ya know what this is like way over the line for us. Their own lawyers must have been having a cow.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score

Wood's message violated the company’s terms of service and was removed, Parler chief executive John Matze told Mediaite.

“Get the firing squads ready. Pence goes FIRST,” Wood wrote Thursday on Parler, according to Mediaite.

It’s a good thing Wood didn’t say something really objectionable. Like, you know, “Go away.”

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

It’s a good thing Wood didn’t say something really objectionable. Like, you know, “Go away.”

From that USA Today piece:

On Sunday, Matze said in an interview on Fox News that the site will try to "get back online as quickly as possible." He added that the ban from Big Tech on the app could put the company out of business.​
“Every vendor from text message services to email providers to our lawyers all ditched us too on the same day,” Matze said on Fox News. “It would put anybody out of business. This thing could destroy anybody.”​

News flash for Matze: "this thing" to which he referred looked a whole lot like a coup against the entirety of a sitting government trying to do its job which at that time was to formalize acceptance of the election of a legitimately elected incoming adminstration. Seems to me there could be a lot of text message services, email providers, server farms and website designers who'd get up and run a hundred yard dash to their cars and drive a thousand miles to get away from associations to something like "this thing".

Top Bottom
1 2