The 2022 Midterms

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Curious... Are those tradespeople just as outraged, and hopefully far more pissed off, when corporations and already wealthy executives/CEOs receive massive bailouts and tax breaks from the Government?

Far more, no. But they don't really like that either.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
On Facebook, I always hear about the liberal policies have lead us to crime ridden cities, poor states, and a deep deficit.

No need to go to FB. Just look at @Eric's Black on Asian crime thread. And I believe there is another bay area centric crime thread as well. Liberal DA's are refusing to punish criminals so they commit a new crime as soon as they get out without bail. I mean if liberal SF is willing to oust a liberal DA, there is a problem somewhere.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
No need to go to FB. Just look at @Eric's Black on Asian crime thread. And I believe there is another bay area centric crime thread as well. Liberal DA's are refusing to punish criminals so they commit a new crime as soon as they get out without bail. I mean if liberal SF is willing to oust a liberal DA, there is a problem somewhere.

Yeah, but that's San Francisco. They're more a fringe example.

The simple fact, though, is that there are no successful conservative counter examples to liberal policies. If red states were relatively prosperous and crime free, then they'd have something to base their accusations upon. But they don't. Of the 5 most crime ridden states in the country, 4 are solidly red. 4 of the 5 safest states, on the other hand, are all solidly blue.

Though the difference between the most crime ridden, and most crime free are fairly marginal. It's not like Tennessee is a conservative crime ridden hellhole where you'll get shot if you so much as blink wrong, while Vermont is a liberal paradise where nothing bad ever happens. You have an x% higher chance of being a victim of a crime in the former, but it's mostly statistics.

Conservatives love to say that liberal states and cities are an example of their failed policies, but what alternatives are they offering? Their supposed tough on crime stances haven't produced better results. All they do is accuse everyone else of stinking while they themselves are wallowing in the shit pile.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Do your own research. Think for yourself.

...that's the usual canned response I get when I ask for a source.

People who deflect with that usually have one source, Joe Rogan. In fact they're pretty much quoting him with that deflection.

Renzatic

Reaction score
People who deflect with that usually have one source, Joe Rogan. In fact they're pretty much quoting him with that deflection.

So that's where it came from, huh?

I can't help but think it's funny that the dozens upon dozens upon dozens of people who all tell me to think for myself are all repeating the same single line from the same singular source.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
And those people chastise blacks for tracing their cumulative issues on the days of slavery, reconstruction and Jim Crow.. and beyond. Yet they themselves blame their issues on their inability to prosper at the expense of others. Spice it up with some dog-whistling and then they wonder why they have a shrinking base.

The facade they used to reluctantly wear is long gone, and the people they once at least pretended to try to court are no welcome in the party.

Renzatic

Reaction score
The facade they used to reluctantly wear is long gone, and the people they once at least pretended to try to court are no welcome in the party.

I'd say it's something of the opposite, at least for most of them. The crazy they used to court for easy votes has finally risen up and overwhelmed the party, and now all they can do is ride the wave and hold on for dear life in hopes of saving their careers.

They've seen what happens to any Republican who dared go against Trump. They don't want to suffer the same fate, so they'll do whatever they can to save their own asses.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
So that's where it came from, huh?

I can't help but think it's funny that the dozens upon dozens upon dozens of people who all tell me to think for myself are all repeating the same single line from the same singular source.

I've concluded that Trump supporters and Rogan supporters have a lot in common, and I'm not even talking political views. There's one notable difference. Trump never admits he is wrong and Rogan will BUT the fact that Rogan will admit it makes him an even bigger respectable authority/expert to his supporters. So he might be wrong 300 times a year but if he admits it 300 times of bookmarks it with "I'm a fucking moron" then his supporters won't question continuing to respect somebody who was wrong 300 times in the past year.

Last edited:

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Or maybe I talk to people who are pissed about this. I work around a lot of tradespeople so I get an idea of what working people think. Maybe they get their ideas from Fox or some conservative SM accounts, but I really have no idea. Just know it is a hot topic of conversation and they aren't happy. If the Dems were trying to alienate whatever remaining voters they had among the working class, they did a great job.
Many with college degrees, including graduate degrees, are working people. That would include teachers. Many places require a master's. Many of those teachers are saddled with student loan debt and this relief will assist them. Imagine spending years getting a degree, a mandated degree and salaries don't match. Just did a quick search to refresh my memory and WV has the 2nd lowest average teacher salary. MS is the lowest (that's almost a given for lots of stats). Are the people you're talking to upset that people can write-off the interest on a 2nd home? That the super rich can write off private jets (and related costs like fuel and pilot salary)? Are they upset that PPP loans are truly giveaways with no requirement that businesses taking advantage of the giveaway have to have been negatively impacted?

I'm not going to trash a teacher struggling to make ends meet. Many have a weekend, and 2nd or 3rd jobs to help pay off a predatory loan in order to get certified as a teacher.

SLF is horrible when it's assisting those that have paid back far above the amount borrowed via a predatory loan. But lawmakers pass legislation (PPP) with very little oversight, and that puny oversight was trashed by the last administration, and benefitted the loudest voices against SLF. Companies that have record profits, that have millions if not billions in sales took advantage of The Pandemic relief. These same companies had their taxes greatly reduced and instead of increasing salaries bought back their own stock.

Anyone screaming their heads off about this is either ill-informed or doesn't give a shit about their fellow Americans struggling and needing a helping hand.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Have never listened to him.

But it could actually work the other way around. He has the pulse of what people are thinking and relays their opinions on his show and not the other way around.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Given our drastic teacher shortage, I’d be in favor of free education degrees for those that commit. Perhaps an obligation for 5-ish years working as a teacher after earning the degree.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Given our drastic teacher shortage, I’d be in favor of free education degrees for those that commit. Perhaps an obligation for 5-ish years working as a teacher after earning the degree.
IMO we should be incentivizing them instead of treating them like fast food employees. Most carry a master's degree and are strapped with student while out shopping for school supplies with their own money, just to have Republicans berate anyone offering them some relief, it's beyond ridiculous. We should be fully funding our schools and paying teachers a real salary. Who can blame them for leaving such a shitty job while being treated so poorly.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Have never listened to him.

But it could actually work the other way around. He has the pulse of what people are thinking and relays their opinions on his show and not the other way around.

You could say the same thing about Trump or even progressives, but sharing an opinion with somebody you consider above you doesn't by default turn it into fact.

Unfortunately doing your own research can yield completely contradictory results and people are going to gravitate to whichever fits their beliefs and narratives and elevate the credentials of anybody who is slightly more connected or knowledgable than them. I also think there is a bit of self-interest aggrandizing from those expressing views outside the accepted establishment and an audience that elevates them because of it. In the case of Joe Rogan, you could have 100 "experts" sharing an opinion or knowledge on the news, but Joe's listeners will respect the opinion of the one "expert" he has on his show that doesn't share that opinion. In that regard it's very Fox News including Joe's version of "I'm just asking questions."

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Or pay them what they are worth to begin with.

But I'm not sure there is enough money to get me to put up with 6 year old boys all day. ;)

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Or pay them what they are worth to begin with.

But I'm not sure there is enough money to get me to put up with 6 year old boys all day. ;)

That was probably more manageable until a decade or two ago when you had to start dealing with parents who are less mature and more self-absorbed than a 6 year old. And I'm not just talking MAGA conspiracists. Throw in the other end of the spectrum as well, "I started my child on college prep the instant they exited the womb. You are an ignorant nobody and will not derail their path to greatness!"

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll admit, if I had just paid off a large student loan, only to see a number of people being forgiven theirs now, it'd probably irk me a bit. Though not in the sense that someone's getting a nice windfall I missed out on, but that it didn't happen sooner so I could enjoy it too.

Some people get a break, and some people don't. It sucks for the people it doesn't happen for, but that doesn't mean they should resent those who were lucky enough to get their break, and demand everyone be just as miserable.
My son just paid off his student loan last month. He said it would have been nice if this had happened sooner, but he’s not begrudging those who got it.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
My son just paid off his student loan last month. He said it would have been nice if this had happened sooner, but he’s not begrudging those who got it.
I thought I read on Twitter that recently paid off students loans can be partially refunded via SDF? It may be worth it for your son to ask to see if he has $$ coming back.

Top Bottom
1 2