Thread: iPhone 15 / Apple Watch 9 Event

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
i would have been shocked if they mentioned ARM v anything. Users don't care.

I am led to believe that these support ARMv9 (or, more accurately, that SOMETHING does - I assume this is it).
True though to be fair users don’t care about a lot of numbers they do give. But Apple provides them anyway as it gives Apple a “number goes up!” marketing opportunity. I suppose though since Apple cannot claim to be the first in this instance, maybe not such a big deal.

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
The announcements were good; the skits and stuff like them descended into cringeworthy territory. Tim Cook and Apple need to take a serious dose of Jack Webb for these Apple Events -stick to just the facts.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the 10% performance improvement on the P cores? It's not the usual 20% but I'm under the impression that the last couple years Apple is focusing more on efficiency than peak performance for the iPhone chips, as the peak was already stellar.
\

I think we’ll see higher on M-series, where they can also boost the clock. I think, for iphone, they are limited by (and optimize for) battery life and thermals. I still believe we’ll see a very high perf core increase in performance on M.

I found this very interesting as well. They mentioned "Wider decode & execution engines". My understanding is that Apple's cores were already extremely wide at both, I'm curious to see what they've achieved. I thought they were talking about increased instruction level parallelism rather than something like SVE though. I would find the latter particularly interesting because my guess is that increased instruction level parallelism is a more efficient way of increasing performance (if you can feed those wider execution units) than increasing core clock.

Yeah, i think they added an ALU or something?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
It’s like a rangefinder :)

1694546399891.png

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm not too sure about the 120mm focal length. Unless it turns out to be really awesome, I think I'd have preferred a good quality medium zoom.

One thing I'm looking forward (photography wise) is the flavor of processing they add on top of the images. Hope it's more natural than the processing mine (13 Pro) does.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
well no need to run out and buy anything. looks like watches all you get now is double tap or is that software so it will work on most watches?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I got an Ultra last year, so there’s nothing to compel me to upgrade there.

I’ve already chosen my specs for the Pro Max and saved them in the Apple Store so that as soon as the presale go live on Friday I can just add to cart and check out. Trading back my iPhone 13 for $580 won’t hurt either.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Ultra 2 and 15 Pro Max for me. I do hope we get an M3 release this year and they aren’t delayed until next as the rumor suggests.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I got an Ultra last year, so there’s nothing to compel me to upgrade there.

I’ve already chosen my specs for the Pro Max and saved them in the Apple Store so that as soon as the presale go live on Friday I can just add to cart and check out. Trading back my iPhone 13 for $580 won’t hurt either.
Which color are you getting? I'm leaning toward blue, but natural titanium looks good too. I'm only using 118 GB on my current phone, so 256 probably makes sense. I see a lot of "meh" over at the other place, but I think this will be a pretty good upgrade from my 12 Pro.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Which color are you getting? I'm leaning toward blue, but natural titanium looks good too. I'm only using 118 GB on my current phone, so 256 probably makes sense. I see a lot of "meh" over at the other place, but I think this will be a pretty good upgrade from my 12 Pro.
It could transport matter and they’d be “meh” over there!

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
looks like no need to upgrade till at least next year. who wants the phone screen always on? nothing new on the watch bummer mine is a 6 I think.

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
Okay, putting aside the cringeworthy skits and music video numbers this is actually a pretty strong release:

1) Apple Silicon GPU gets shaders and ray tracing. This is pretty big. Add in the 3nm process and this makes A17 a beast (and by extension M3 will be one too).

2) Major camera improvements.

3) Phones move to USB 3.0 / Thunderbolt but the A17 also adds a special USB block to the SOC so it is fully enabled for data transfer and everything else.

4) 128GB is now the base memory level

5) Turning the mute switch into a multi-function button - another potential biggie.

The watch stuff is good too but these really stood out.

Altaic

Power User
Reaction score
The new Ultra Wideband chip is pretty awesome, especially with location sharing. Assuming it works as shown, I feel like locating is now pretty much a complete feature. That’s to say it just works as expected if you’ve ever watched a sci-fi movie.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My pre-order:
Apple Watch Series 9 GPS, 45mm Silver Aluminum Case with Midnight Sport Loop.

Top Bottom
1 2