Ilhan Omar to introduce articles of impeachment

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Would an impeachment also prevent Trump from running for office in the future?
After a vote has been passed (which requires a majority of two thirds of the Senate) to impeach the office holder (in this instance, the President), to answer your question, (I've been reading this stuff this evening, while drinking red wine from France, how sad is that?), following conviction, the Senate may vote to further punish the individual by barring him or her from holding future federal office, elected or appointed.

This requires a subsequent, separate motion of disqualification, but can be moved once an impeachment motion has been carried.

As the threshold for disqualification is not explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, the Senate has taken the position that the disqualification votes only require a simple majority rather than a two-thirds supermajority.

Historically, the Senate has used disqualification sparingly, as only three individuals have been disqualified from holding future office.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
If they're smart, this offers them a tremendous re-branding opportunity. Mitch and Lindsay are probably working this out right now.

Or you know Trump could just take the advice of Rupert Murdoch's upper tier rag and resign. Of course it's easy for the WSJ to say since they're probably not expecting to be hit by a raft of indictments in a couple of weeks.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1347336480352514048/

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I don‘t think it’s funny, and can’t figure out what supposedly makes it funny. But if somebody has to explain a joke, it’s no longer funny anyway, so we’ll just say I don’t get it.
I don’t get it either. My understanding of the meaning of “that’s rich” is identical to yours. Why it should apply to Omar is unclear.

iLunar

Power User
Reaction score
Or you know Trump could just take the advice of Rupert Murdoch's upper tier rag and resign. Of course it's easy for the WSJ to say since they're probably not expecting to be hit by a raft of indictments in a couple of weeks.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1347336480352514048/

I think more and more the truth will emerge that this was an inside job with the Capitol Police, but they failed to prolong the certification. Now that Biden is certified, Trump has very few options, which is why the video of him saving face came out. He's trying to buy time. I really hope the powers that be are a few steps ahead of Trump and any kind of insurgents. Scary times. IMO, he needs to be removed from office immediately.

And I think there's likely to be a Congressional inquiry. At least there better be. It's time to clean house of insurgents in police departments across the country.

There's going to be a lot distractions in the coming days like Betsy Devos resigning – why? She was done anyway. She's doing it to eat up a headline. Her and her Blackwater/Haliburton private army family are knee deep in Trump waste. She's not resigning out of the goodness of her heart.

I know I'm being paranoid, but these last four years have really brought to light what Margerat Atwood wrote about how quickly fascism can spread: "So, no guarantees. No guarantees that things aren’t going to go tits up, quite rapidly.”

I think it's important to keep shining a light and not be pacified by resignations and people jumping ship. We need to get to the heart of every deplorable and expose their actions. Every behind-the-scenes maneuver by the Trump admin needs to be looked at, documented and countered with law.

(This is a good read: ‘Things can change a lot faster than you think,’ says Margaret Atwood, author of ‘The Handmaid's Tale’)

U

User.45

There's going to be a lot distractions in the coming days like Betsy Devos resigning – why? She was done anyway. She's doing it to eat up a headline. Her and her Blackwater/Haliburton private army family are knee deep in Trump waste. She's not resigning out of the goodness of her heart.
Rats leaving the ship.

lizkat

Reaction score
I think more and more the truth will emerge that this was an inside job with the Capitol Police, but they failed to prolong the certification. Now that Biden is certified, Trump has very few options, which is why the video of him saving face came out. He's trying to buy time. I really hope the powers that be are a few steps ahead of Trump and any kind of insurgents. Scary times. IMO, he needs to be removed from office immediately.

And I think there's likely to be a Congressional inquiry. At least there better be. It's time to clean house of insurgents in police departments across the country.

I know I'm being paranoid, but these last four years have really brought to light what Margerat Atwood wrote about how quickly fascism can spread: "So, no guarantees. No guarantees that things aren’t going to go tits up, quite rapidly.”
, ,
I think it's important to keep shining a light and not be pacified by resignations and people jumping ship. We need to get to the heart of every deplorable and expose their actions. Every behind-the-scenes maneuver by the Trump admin needs to be looked at, documented and countered with law.

(This is a good read: ‘Things can change a lot faster than you think,’ says Margaret Atwood, author of ‘The Handmaid's Tale’)

Well that phone call where Rudy thought he was leaving a voicemail for Tuberville but it landed on another Senator's phone and the press got it... where he said "we just want to slow the count"... i thought that was maybe about some long shot of Trump's lawyers saying if it went into January 7th and the Congress hadn't finished their assigned duty required to occur on January 6th, then... hey.., more time to bring another lawsuit over some damn thing... or was something else supposed to happen if they could just keep the House and Senate in joint session and Pence occupied into the wee hours?

These guys are so incompetent but at the same time they always have these complex agendas and connections to nogoodniks. In that sense the whole thing does feel like Watergate lately. Only 10x worse.

I can't imagine Trump still in power for 13 more days now, with people jumping ship and WH counsel telling staffers don't go by him you'll end up in legal hell... and yet he's dangerous unsupervised.... so no I don't think you're paranoid, or let's say hypervigilant. Or anyway Trump and his crowd have made that a reasonable stance to end up with on autopilot.

iLunar

Power User
Reaction score
Well that phone call where Rudy thought he was leaving a voicemail for Tuberville but it landed on another Senator's phone and the press got it... where he said "we just want to slow the count"... i thought that was maybe about some long shot of Trump's lawyers saying if it went into January 7th and the Congress hadn't finished their assigned duty required to occur on January 6th, then... hey.., more time to bring another lawsuit over some damn thing... or was something else supposed to happen if they could just keep the House and Senate in joint session and Pence occupied into the wee hours?

These guys are so incompetent but at the same time they always have these complex agendas and connections to nogoodniks. In that sense the whole thing does feel like Watergate lately. Only 10x worse.

I can't imagine Trump still in power for 13 more days now, with people jumping ship and WH counsel telling staffers don't go by him you'll end up in legal hell... and yet he's dangerous unsupervised.... so no I don't think you're paranoid, or let's say hypervigilant. Or anyway Trump and his crowd have made that a reasonable stance to end up with on autopilot.

Yes, that Rudy phone call really made me question why they were trying to buy time. They're not buying time for 13 days, they're buying time to try some other shit.

And I like that! Let's stay hypervigilant. After 5+ years of gaslightining, I'm not putting anything past them.

lizkat

Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2