Welcome new members!

Althea

Reaction score
Thanks for the greeting. I don't usually do the public announcement, but I was thinking about giving out a little information about myself anyway.

Eric might have already told you, but I'll say it for the board. Way back in the days of the Bush years, I was on a rather large message board run by Bill Maher. In the early days, I'm told that he would participate, but things got a little strange and he stopped showing up. It was the fledgling days of the internet, and who could have predicted that message boards would attract idiots?

After many years, the board went down rather suddenly. We were lost in the wilderness, with some starting small boards on other platforms than the Vbulletin that we were used to. Navigation was a learning experience.

Eventually, one of the kids on the board mentioned a friend with a dormant board that was originally a venue for musicians to gather for discussion. (Eric can correct me if I'm wrong about that). Eric was willing to open it up, and we flooded the place. It went from zero to 1000 overnight.

Things were hectic, as one would imagine, but it was a great board. As per usual, the '08 primaries created a real rift between the Hillary/Obama camps, and it ended up with a good number of the members breaking off to a different board.

Many of us were on another rather large board for years, and that one also shut down in the middle of the night with no notice.

Now it's a lot of years later, and (some of us) are all grown up. I got the word that this board was back, so I'm contacting many who were with me on that journey since the Maher days, in an attempt to 'get the band back together'.

It would be cool to discuss politics on a message board, instead of Facebook.

Thanks again for the greeting!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Thanks for the greeting. I don't usually do the public announcement, but I was thinking about giving out a little information about myself anyway.

Eric might have already told you, but I'll say it for the board. Way back in the days of the Bush years, I was on a rather large message board run by Bill Maher. In the early days, I'm told that he would participate, but things got a little strange and he stopped showing up. It was the fledgling days of the internet, and who could have predicted that message boards would attract idiots?

After many years, the board went down rather suddenly. We were lost in the wilderness, with some starting small boards on other platforms than the Vbulletin that we were used to. Navigation was a learning experience.

Eventually, one of the kids on the board mentioned a friend with a dormant board that was originally a venue for musicians to gather for discussion. (Eric can correct me if I'm wrong about that). Eric was willing to open it up, and we flooded the place. It went from zero to 1000 overnight.

Things were hectic, as one would imagine, but it was a great board. As per usual, the '08 primaries created a real rift between the Hillary/Obama camps, and it ended up with a good number of the members breaking off to a different board.

Many of us were on another rather large board for years, and that one also shut down in the middle of the night with no notice.

Now it's a lot of years later, and (some of us) are all grown up. I got the word that this board was back, so I'm contacting many who were with me on that journey since the Maher days, in an attempt to 'get the band back together'.

It would be cool to discuss politics on a message board, instead of Facebook.

Thanks again for the greeting!
It's great to have you here. Wow, you have a much better memory of all of that than I do, thanks for the refresher! Yes, that's exactly how it happened now that I recall. My guitar board got taken over with politics so I decided to open up a dedicated site for it.

It's funny you mention vBulletin, it was always my favorite board, I knew it well and even served as a moderator on their sister site vbulletin.org and wrote a lot of mods for it. In fact this time around I initially started with it but when compared to xenforo (which I had been using for a while over at MacRumors.com) found it completely lacking.

This board is much more user friendly with its modern interface, notification features, interactions and simple interface. VB really dropped the ball in this area IMO so that's why we're here.

The old version of this site just died after the 2012 election, as I noticed many other smaller sites dropped off as well. I think fatigue played a large role there and the Obama vs Hillary battle left a lot of people scarred.

Didn't a group splinter off and form dcjunkies? I looked and that site no longer exists but as I recall it they were pretty active for a while.

Top Bottom
1 2