Main Camera
Fujifilm
Faro, Portugal.

_DSF2638.jpg

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Water running through the pipes does not freeze in the pipes. Water freezing in the pipes is a bad, bad thing.
only if there is no place for the pressure to go. like we have a faucet that comes out of the ground. it freezes every year. but since its source does not freeze its fine. the problem happens when the water freezes between the source and the other pipes. then there I no place for the pressure to go as the lines continue to freeze. but moving water can freeze it just takes longer. we had heat tape on last year and our lines still froze because we did not have any moving water and it froze at ground level. this year I had the heat tape and a drip.

Katbel

Site Champ
Staff Member
Reaction score
Water running through the pipes does not freeze in the pipes. Water freezing in the pipes is a bad, bad thing.
I know first hand...a fire sprinkler froze, broke - 20 cm long with ice inside- and fell from the ceiling in our basement that is worm, so the family room on the above floor
Just a bad insulation on the external wall made this possible. Of course you don't think Vancouver could go -18 C. and I guess who built the house many years ago didn't contemplate the scenario. We were lucky enough to find someone on a Sat and lucky the pipe fell because if not we would have had bigger damages.
The guy came , cut few holes in two rooms and separated the pipe from the rest of the system. Waiting to have the holes fixed and so the sprinklers. Not fun and not cheap...😨 and the work is not finished yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2