Welcome new members!

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
So I've made plenty of mistakes in my life, rarely the same one twice.

I on the other hand had to try to talk my way out of getting canned a couple times (once without success) over making the incorrect assumption that there's some kind of zero sum game at a job regarding who owes whom what and when in the case of overtime being in the equation.

See I had figured more than once, at more than one place, that if you've racked up sixty hours by Thursday night and go home Friday morning at 2am or so, it's probably fine to show up again around 10 or 11am on Friday as long as whatever they had wanted was on their desk at the actual end of that long "Thursday".

Nope. They do keep scorecards, and you might get comp time and even a semipublic attagirl award, depending on the level of heroics in the rear view mirror, but ya can't just take comp time a la carte and without notice.

Gee. Yeah, so... getting canned over that once only taught my thick skull that those guys didn't play by what had seemed to me like pretty obvious rules. Ya work all night, ya come back in whenever ya can get there? But no. The second time around I managed to hang onto the job --probably only because I did save their asses by getting a court-mandated job done by an unreasonable deadline-- but the boss on that job straightened me out about who actually writes the rules about comp time and office hours: not me. "Life is hard, and then you die."

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Greetings folks!
Wanted to give this forum a try for a while as I saw so many well known MR posters here.

Hope you don’t mind yet another Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Welcome. The more, the Ericer!

After @Eric and @Erik I think we can handle an @ericwn without too much difficulty! 😅

Top Bottom
1 2